Anyone tried fanless LED headlights?

EXGM

I learned about this type on another forum. They look interesting in there is no fan to worry about. I need to look to see how much room there is. Has anyone tried this style? Give me your thoughts....

https://www.amazon.com/SOCAL-LED-H11-Fanless-Conversion-Headlight/dp/B01LA5URGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509563850&sr=8-3&keywords=led+headlight+fanless+canbus

Yes I am running fanless LED kit for my high beams only. the fit is very tight! I had to modified the headlight bracket. I will try to post some pics today. In my opinion its worth it.

I was hoping to avoid "modifying" anything.... I want to put them in for my low's.... just curious why did you only do your high's?

I was hoping to avoid "modifying" anything.... I want to put them in for my low's.... just curious why did you only do your high's?

The reason I did HIGH's only because HIDs take to long to warm up. I wanted to be able to flash my high beams. Plus I have the 4 high headlight mod. My low's are HID.

Haven't tried the "solder wick heat sink" style like those, but I have tried fanless LED headlights in a different application. The heat sink was huge on those so I had to cut the headlight bracket and open up an existing hole in the core support on a '97 Suburban. I also used them in an '06 Magnum which only required very slight grinding on an existing hole in the core support.

Two big gotchas with LED headlights of any heat sink style would be (1) most are not bright enough for your low beams (seriously exaggerated claims on light output), and (2) wrong light pattern/poor cutoff, much like drop-in HID kits into a reflector housing they really do not produce the right kind of light as compared to the original halogen capsule. Morimoto has some that they claim more accurately reproduce the light pattern and while I find it hard to believe, if I would believe anybody, it would be them. The other no-name stuff can make all the claims they want, doesn't make it true.

I'm seriously tempted to try the Morimotos for my SS because the HID's in my OEM housings just aren't cutting it. I can tell from the dimensions on the site there will be some chopping involved and it may just not be physically possible. Their design does rely on fans, though the way they describe them you'd hope they might be a little more reliable than the usual junk out there.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Haven't tried the "solder wick heat sink" style like those, but I have tried fanless LED headlights in a different application. The heat sink was huge on those so I had to cut the headlight bracket and open up an existing hole in the core support on a '97 Suburban. I also used them in an '06 Magnum which only required very slight grinding on an existing hole in the core support.

Two big gotchas with LED headlights of any heat sink style would be (1) most are not bright enough for your low beams (seriously exaggerated claims on light output), and (2) wrong light pattern/poor cutoff, much like drop-in HID kits into a reflector housing they really do not produce the right kind of light as compared to the original halogen capsule. Morimoto has some that they claim more accurately reproduce the light pattern and while I find it hard to believe, if I would believe anybody, it would be them. The other no-name stuff can make all the claims they want, doesn't make it true.

I'm seriously tempted to try the Morimotos for my SS because the HID's in my OEM housings just aren't cutting it. I can tell from the dimensions on the site there will be some chopping involved and it may just not be physically possible. Their design does rely on fans, though the way they describe them you'd hope they might be a little more reliable than the usual junk out there.

Richard

Nailed it. Drop in LED kit is probably actually less output than a good set of halogen bulbs in the factory reflector type housing. The iLens bi-LED projectors are pretty good units as well as the even better morimoto m-led but they are a projector LED complete unit that you have to retrofit into your housings, and that includes opening them up and resealing them. Not a small task, but well worth it! Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)