someotherguy

Intermediate steering shaft revisited in 2017

A topic many of us are familiar with on GMT800 trucks, the clunking intermediate steering shaft, and all the remedies and revised versions of it over the years...

Here I am at the end of 2017 deciding it's time to replace it and the lower column bearing on my 2006 Intimidator SS. Been clunking/rattling for a good while now and I'm DD'ing the truck so it's really getting on my nerves. I've actually had these parts in hand for literally a year now so it was time to do it.

GM # 19329330 this version of the intermediate steering shaft has the thick tab of metal inside the lower end, $66 off eBay

GM # 88963617 lower column bearing, this one is pale green vs. the white one that came out of my truck, $25 off eBay

Little bit of a pain in the ass to get it all apart but not a bad job at all, took some hammering in a tight area to get the old one out because the slip portion of it was just about frozen up with old grease, so it didn't want to collapse to allow me to remove it. I did not loosen/remove the lower shaft from the gearbox; once I carefully hammered the slip joint on the intermediate shaft down, I was able to remove it while leaving the lower shaft in place. Got the lower bearing out by pushing at it gently at the end of the column tube with a door panel tool, then tapped it out with a tiny ballpeen hammer. Was able to install the new one all the way but for about 1/4" at the end where the tabs lock it in, so I very carefully tapped it in on the inside flat area using that same tiny hammer.

Did this at 89500 miles, posting this as a record so I know how long it lasts if it decides to start clunking at me again.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy

I hope you get a longer run with the new parts than I did. Replaced parts just like you, got maybe 10k miles. I get a little noise every once in a while.

Ugh...did the new intermediate shaft you installed have the tab like the one I got, and same part #? Did you do the lower bearing, too?

At the rate I'm driving it I'll probably see 10K more in a year or so...

Richard

Yes, Brother on both questions. Same exact part numbers, new parts from a GM dealer.

Edited by Distracted

I have 20k on my ishaft and no problems. I replaced mine right after I got my truck and knock on wood no problems.....

Edited by EXGM

My question is, why should I use a GM part since the ones they designed didn't last already.

Debating on which one to buy right now.

Which other ones are you looking at?  Dorman?  They can't even make a molded rubber hose that doesn't fall apart in a few thousand miles, so I don't know if I would trust them for steering parts.

GM has redesigned this shaft several times so that tells me for whatever reason it's not easy to get it right; I've got right at 10K miles now on the replacements that I listed earlier and so far so good - of course it could be right at that fateful 10K mark where they're going to go bad again like Distracted's did. :(

Borgeson offers a shaft indicated for 1999-2008 trucks, not sure how that works but they do seem to make quality parts.  It's $225 list; you can find it for about $190 if you shop around.  Part # 000937  But beware - as with pretty much anything, there are some negative reviews out there saying it failed early...

So GM can't get it right, Borgeson can't get it right, I wouldn't bet money that Dorman's team of chimps can do better...nor would I bet on that super cheap "Ultra Super Duper Whatever" brand.  Tough call, but I'd spend the just under $100 for the GM shaft and column bearing.

Richard

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.