Occasional really low idle

2006 SS about 88K or so miles on it, bone stock engine other than a CAI and Magnaflow muffler on stock exhaust. Always run premium fuel.

Sometimes, not all the time, I'll come to a stop and the idle is really low - feels almost like it's going to stall out.

Still getting used to LS engines...is this something as simple as throttle blade needs cleaning, or...?

Thanks,

Richard

My 03 has done the same thing once or twice. Just about the time that I started thinking that I had a problem, it cleared up on it's own.

If I remember right that was before I got a tune from Zippy. (The tune might well have programed out a border line problem with fuel air mix)

I don't remember hearing about it being a frequent problem.

I also have a 2000 Silverado and it has done this several times. (There again; it sorts itself out pretty quickly.) Apples to oranges comparison, I guess, although they are both brain controlled motors.

Yeah, but this is SE TX so the a/c is practically always on whether cooling the truck or in defrost mode!

Truck takes a lot of short trips and it seemed like it cleared up last time I went on a longer run, but the symptom came back quickly this time. Again though it's pretty intermittent, I can't really predict when it's going to happen.

Richard

I would try a cleaning of the ol' throttle body.... if you haven't done its not a bad maintenance item to do every 30K. Not saying it will fix your problem but I would try that first..... it's cheap n' easy.

Thanks y'all...next free time I get I'll give it a shot. Assuming since this is a DBW setup I shouldn't manually manipulate the throttle blade to clean it, but have a helper (or a prop rod tool) on the pedal to hold the throttle open for me. Dunno if this applies to the GM throttle bodies but I've heard you shouldn't manually open/close other DBW units.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Update, haven't messed with cleaning the TB yet but now I've got a P0442. New OEM gas cap didn't solve it, didn't expect it to but the old one was a locking cap that the gasket had cracked so I figured it was worth a try.

I've read up on the code a bit and see there's an updated kit with new purge solenoid and relocates the filter/intake for it. I'm guessing that's the better setup and should be tried before giving up and replacing the evap canister, huh?

I have experienced the occasional (very intermittent) issue with the gas pump shutting off repeatedly while trying to fill up.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)