Robbins1310

SS Newbie

• 7 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Owns:SS
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

hey Guys looking for info on the difference between magna flow tue x muffler and having a x pipe, i have an 03 ss with a 6.2 aluminum block, custom cam forged internals, pro charged with alot more extras. my question is do i have to have an x pipe if i run a magna flow true x muffler? does the magna flow do the same thing as an x pipe? ive got kooks long tube headers with kooks intermediate pipe ,immediately after the intermediate pipes i want to put the true x dual muffler and right after that both pipes will turn down after muffler under truck. NO CATS.. DO I HAVE TO HAVE AN X PIPE AS WELL? has anyone done this?

Edited by Robbins1310, 29 August 2017 - 07:37 PM.

#2 poopnewton

poopnewton

Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Name:laurence
  • Owns:VHO
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2005
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

You don't have to have anything connecting the 2 sides of your exhaust. That said having a x pipe is supposed to be better. The likelihood of someone having dyno numbers comparing x pipe vs x muffler vs both together are pretty slim. I'd say the safest bet would be X pipe 1st then with 2 separate straight through mufflers keeping both sides of the exhaust as equal of length as possible before and after the x would be best just because that's what most aftermarket systems are.

#3 zachm89

zachm89

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Arrival Blue
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just do like I did on my procharged truck and run a single 4" exhaust. I tried out more exhaust combinations than I care to admit and the sinlge 4" with a borla XR-1 muffler was without a doubt the best sounding exhaust I ever had on my truck. Youll need a flowmaster dual 3 to single 4 merge, some 4" straight pipe, some 4" mandrel bends (number of bends will be determined based on if you want the exhaust to go over the axle or dump before) and a muffler. Super simple, performs great, little to no drone at highway speeds and sounds amazing. 

Right now, you're waaaaaay over complicating the exhaust. 

Edited by zachm89, 31 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

2BFAST: im a prick, so dont feel bad
zachm89: oh i dont. if Jon is going to play ITG every night then we have every right to put him back in his place....the kitchen... :P

2003 Arrival Blue Silverado SS: 

Lowered, 22" TBSS Reps, E-Fans, Magnaflow Exhaust

2004 Arrival Blue Silverado SS Procharged (SOLD)

New PB as of 10-14-11: 11.70 @ 112 with a 1.72 60'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exhuast, magnaflow, xpipe, performance, kooks, muffler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users