I'm looking for my first Silverado SS

Personplai

Hi everyone!

My name's Carlos and I'm a new member.

I'm currently looking for my first Silverado SS. I want to by a used truck. Are there any details or information I need to know before purchase? And what generation would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Carlos!

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm also looking for my first Silverado SS, so I can't tell you what generation is better (I think the 3rd, as the newest one ;) ). But I plan to buy the 2nd gen SSS for a start. To decide what to choose (what variant is the best for you) you need to read and learn more about functions of each generation and compare them. All data you can find here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Silverado.

Before purchase I would also recommend you to look up VIN number https://trustvin.com/vin-base or http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history.php to check its history. One of my relatives bought a car and everything seemed to be fine, but after a few weeks of driving different technical problems started to appear (basically with wiring). In the result we found that the car was flood damaged. It was very sad that we knew about it too late :(

Edited by LawsonD (see edit history)

There was only one generation of Silverado SS. The GMT 800 platform was made from 99-07. During the run the SSS was made from 2003-2007. Early SS trucks had all wheel drive. In late 2005 until the end the SSS was only available in RWD. GM switched to a new platform in 2007 the GMT 900 but built both trucks the new and old called the classic. Chevrolet has not made a Silverado SS since.....

EXGM is right.. the most notable difference is the awd vs the 2wd version and changes to the front end.... if you don't want to deal with transfer case issues at some point, look for a 2wd but they're a little harder to find

The 05 SS a few things changed and upgraded, they use electric fans for cooling and a new master cylinder with a power booster or something.

Reading up here and internet in 05 the drive shaft is bigger, the rear end is a 14 not 12 and rotors are 10" from a 9"

Some more differences early trucks had 4 wheel disk late trucks that are 2wd have larger front rotors and drum rears. In 2006 they got the power dome hood and HD inspired front grille. They made a few in 2007 but are SUPER hard to find. I've only ever seen a handful for sale. As mentioned front diffs were a weak link as are T cases. They are notorious for wearing a pin hole in case where the pump is. Good luck on your search.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

Correct the SSS also had the 65 which was a beefed up 60. It was used in performance applications like the GTO and Trailblazer SS. The 65 was also used in half tons with the 6.0 like the Denali, Escalade and H2. GM Performance sells the 4L65 today as a part in their catalog. Here are some of the differences of a 65..... the 4L65-E is a heavy-duty transmission with enhanced components, including five-pinion gearsets, heat-treated stator shaft splines, induction-hardened turbine shaft, and more.... it is rated up to 430hp.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

The 05 SS a few things changed and upgraded, they use electric fans for cooling and a new master cylinder with a power booster or something.

Reading up here and internet in 05 the drive shaft is bigger, the rear end is a 14 not 12 and rotors are 10" from a 9"

14 bolt (with drum brakes) in the RWD models only. The AWD trucks are 10 bolt rear, not 12 bolt

RWD SS is best SS. :) ;) Unless you live somewhere that AWD makes sense and you would actually drive your SS in that crummy weather.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I m entertaining the sale of mine also. 2006 RWD in Victory Red, cloth interior with only 46,000 miles in MINT condition. Never raced, Never abused, never used as a truck, never has it seen snow, never been on dirt road at all. Chrome wheels bed rug soft tonneau cover. Beach towels on sets since new, and a log book of every drop of gas pumped into the tank. Brand New Pirelli Scorpion tires. But its priced above the KBB book price. email [email protected] if seriously interested.