Wats up guys? I was posting because I wanted some feedback on what is the best exhaust system setup just to gather opinions.. I do live in California, so the control of emissions is the worst out here :thumbsdown: , probably the strictest out of anywhere here in the states I think. To start off true dual exhaust is illegal out here and it's rare to find a guy that will do it at a shop, that plus cars out here have to get smogged every two years and it will not pass with true dual. The setup that I have right now on my truck is dual with a flowmaster 40 series muffler, I think that's the 2nd loudest muffler they carry, the loudest would be the super 10, I don't exactly want to be that obnoxious ****with the extremely loud truck driving down the street, I just want to change the sound a bit on what I currently have, any thoughts?

Edited by Silverado_George (see edit history)

Whats your budget? Any future plans that would require long tubes or cat-less. There are TONS of exhaust options (Legal and illegal). I would take some time and snoop around the the Engine Technical - Bolt On Performance Section and see what fits your needs best.

Are you me? Because I'm in the exact same situation right now..

I think I want a dumped dual exhaust setup, because I just think they just look cool honestly lol. I am in California as well, so I'm facing the same restrictions, and I know I couldn't get a "true dual exhaust". Also, on the topic of smog checks, does anyone know of a shop that would be a little flexible..?

What does best exhaust setup mean? Are you looking for best performance or sound? And what do you mean by change the sound of your exhaust? You want it to louder, or just different? You could put some whistle tips on it... that would change it a bit.

Are you me? Because I'm in the exact same situation right now..

I think I want a dumped dual exhaust setup, because I just think they just look cool honestly lol. I am in California as well, so I'm facing the same restrictions, and I know I couldn't get a "true dual exhaust". Also, on the topic of smog checks, does anyone know of a shop that would be a little flexible..?

My recommendation would be Corsa or a replacement muffler with a custom dump before or after the axle. This way you can stay Cali smog legal. In regards to your second question, that is illegal and I don't believe anyone will post information pertaining to "flexible" shops.

What does best exhaust setup mean? Are you looking for best performance or sound? And what do you mean by change the sound of your exhaust? You want it to louder, or just different? You could put some whistle tips on it... that would change it a bit.

X2 on "You could put some whistle tips on it... that would change it a bit."

My recommendation would be Corsa or a replacement muffler with a custom dump before or after the axle. This way you can stay Cali smog legal.

So are you recommending that I buy a Corsa kit and then have someone modify it to dump instead of coming out the back?

Depending on how strict your inspection people are, dumped may not be legal, either. Some states will specifically say the exhaust has to exit at the rear of the vehicle.

Dumped will also generally be louder inside the cab with more drone. I actually like it, especially on lowered trucks, but I'm just sayin'.

Richard

Depending on how strict your inspection people are, dumped may not be legal, either. Some states will specifically say the exhaust has to exit at the rear of the vehicle.

Dumped will also generally be louder inside the cab with more drone. I actually like it, especially on lowered trucks, but I'm just sayin'.

Richard

I really like the look of a dumped exhaust more than the sound honestly. I think the look of having no exhaust pipes is super clean. I'm pretty positive in California having a dumped exhaust under the car is still legal, because I have a friend with it dumped on his truck that I know for a fact is legal. Edited by Tru Killer (see edit history)

Just looking for something a little bit louder than what I have on, I've only dealt with Magnaflow and Flowmaster mufflers, as far as all these "x-pipes" and "y", I don't know much about exhaust systems in that sense,

Check out "Carven Exhaust"

I know some guys around here that are running them and they sound really good and mean.

just to be clear so there is no misinformation here. dual exhaust is perfectly legal in california and will still pass smog. post-cat you can do anything you want to the exhaust. pre-cat the pipes have to be original diameter and cats have to be in original location, tho smog shops aren't going to get under there and measure pipe diameter. so you can run two pipes for dual exhaust off of your cats all the way back if you wanted. i ran mine in stock location dual 3" into two flowmasters, tho mine has long tube headers and no cats, but i can easily bolt on the manifolds and cats to this exhaust. im not sure why you are having trouble getting exhaust done the way you want it. exhaust shops will do anything you want them to except for remove a cat, but if you go in without a cat, they will run the pipes just how you want them.

Check out "Carven Exhaust"

I know some guys around here that are running them and they sound really good and mean.

I'm looking into getting a new exhaust setup aswell, and Carven only seems to sell mufflers that would fit our trucks, not kits.

I found these two:

http://www.carvenexhaust.com/products/performance-mufflers/r-series-muffler-2.html

http://www.carvenexhaust.com/products/performance-mufflers/r-series-muffler-2-942.html

I'm looking into getting a new exhaust setup aswell, and Carven only seems to sell mufflers that would fit our trucks, not kits.

I found these two:

http://www.carvenexhaust.com/products/performance-mufflers/r-series-muffler-2.html

http://www.carvenexhaust.com/products/performance-mufflers/r-series-muffler-2-942.html

You would want to go with the 3"