Whipple 2.3l 140ax Upgrade - Max Boost on Stock LQ9?

Two Options:

Turn Key Kit and Tuner Kit

Turn Key comes with complete w140ax and everything needed to install:

w140ax mounted in intake manifold complete with fuel rails and injectors

heat exchanger with overflow tank

high-flow water pump

160 degree thermostat

high-flow in-tank fuel pump

high-flow K&N air filter for stock air box

accessory re-locator

accessory belt tentioner

accessory belt

hoses

wiring harness

SCT handheld programmer

+(I am sure that I forgot something)

I ordered the tuner kit which does not include fuel injectors, fuel pump, or handheld programmer. I went this route because I ordered a 3.000 pulley for higher boost, as opposed to the 3.750 pulley that comes with the turn key kit. I added a 90mm throttle body from a 5th generation Camaro, so I will not be reusing my 78mm LQ9 truck intake throttle body. I have been in contact with Justin from Black Bear Performance for tuning via EFI Live AutoCal. I chose a FiveO Motorsport 340LPH in-tank fuel pump, and FiveO 72lb 750cc fuel injectors.

:peelout:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How is the tuning with Blackbear coming along? Would you buy the Whipple again, or do it differently? I'm torn between Mag, Whipple, or ProCharger.

In my opinion it's all about what you can afford and what kind of setup you want. I wanted a positive displacement (PD) roots style blower. Whipple is the better of the two between Magnuson, it moves more air, thus more power. It also has the best internal cooling system for delivery of colder charged air. The Whipple is also more expensive initially and requires further expenses if you want to help if preform to it's maximum potential. I invested in a smaller pulley, 90mm throttle body, throttle body harness adapter, fuel injectors, fuel pump and tuning service. However I am also now pushing 15lbs of boost and massive horsepower.

The ProCharger never appealed to me as I found it too much like an after thought third party product, sorta like a turbo charger strapped to the accessory assembly. Not to knock turbocharging, I spool the s*it out of the one on my Cobalt SS with the 2.0L LNF. But that's where a turbo belongs, on a four cylinder cross flow engine. Look at how all the big names make power from production cars, from roots style supercharging V8s and turbocharging I4s or boxers. Once again I understand big power can be made from twin turbocharging V8s, even the LQ9.

I am very happy that I went with the Whipple and now that I'm all tuned out on my fourth tune from BlackBear would not have done anything different.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by psualumni (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Tuning complete on fourth go round with BlackBear. Very happy with the results! Truck has great driveability and for the most part unaffected gas mileage (if I stay out of boost). Power out the wazoo when I put my foot down, max boosting at 14 PSI. I have a TansGo shift kit and servos etc that I plan on having installed in the spring to elongate the life of the 4L65E.

I don't plan on modding the engine further as I think it's taking all it can handle now. If I want more I'm probably going to go get a LQ4 from the yard and rebuild it bulletproof / for performance from the bottom up to accommodate the blower. I think I'm going to take it to the track in the summer to see what 1/4 time it will do. Anyone have any guesses? I'm really not sure what to expect.

I have a vacuum/boost gauge and almost always drive the truck under vacuum. I've found the 6.0 has plenty of power naturally aspirated for around town driving and runs real close to stoichiometric ratio @ 14.7:1 according to my wideband air/fuel gauge.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, psualumni said:

Tuning complete on fourth go round with BlackBear. Very happy with the results! Truck has great driveability and for the most part unaffected gas mileage (if I stay out of boost). Power out the wazoo when I put my foot down, max boosting at 14 PSI. I have a TansGo shift kit and servos etc that I plan on having installed in the spring to elongate the life of the 4L65E.

I don't plan on modding the engine further as I think it's taking all it can handle now. If I want more I'm probably going to go get a LQ4 from the yard and rebuild it bulletproof / for performance from the bottom up to accommodate the blower. I think I'm going to take it to the track in the summer to see what 1/4 time it will do. Anyone have any guesses? I'm really not sure what to expect.

I have a vacuum/boost gauge and almost always drive the truck under vacuum. I've found the 6.0 has plenty of power naturally aspirated for around town driving and runs real close to stoichiometric ratio @ 14.7:1 according to my wideband air/fuel gauge.

Did you ever take it to the track?

• 1 year later...

The Whipple isn't better than a Magnacharger. That's a simple proven fact. The Whipple does a good job of doing what you want it to do. A screw design is better at higher boost levels, but always makes more heat than the roots type which is hard to do. Outside of that the LQ9 is capable of over 20psi with proper tuning, fuel, and spark plug heat range. That doesn't mean it won't break at a lower boost level since anything can have a part failure. For a lower boost level that you'd find with that blower you'd be fine with a stock engine or one simply with forged pistons. If you plan to do any more than that just buy a 4" stroke crank and go bigger. The stock crank and rods will handle well over 700hp without a problem. Some do forged rods and pistons and even worse some do crank, rods, and pistons in stock stroke. This is a waste of money since a stock engine can handle the power level most build them to. If you're thinking of doing the rods and pistons just do the crank as well. The only real difference at that point is the cost of the crank since rods and pistons are generally the same cost for a 408 and a 370.