Photo
- - - - -

Whipple 2.3l 140ax Upgrade - Max Boost on Stock LQ9?

sueprcharger whipple 140ax boost

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psualumni

psualumni

SS Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2004
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Recently placed my order for a Whipple 2.3l 140ax from Stillen Performance and I can't wait for it to get here! I have been wanting to install a supercharger since I bought my truck and have been saving since I bought it to do the same. I attempted to do my homework on choosing a supercharger setup for my SSS and decided on Whipple. Seems like it all comes down to what you want to spend on a setup and what brand/type of supercharger your prefer for your build.

I am curious as to how much boost my stock LQ9 will SAFELY take. The 140ax comes with a 3.625in pulley that is rated for 6-8lbs of boost. I have a high-flow exhaust (long tube headers,  no cats, Billy Boat exhaust) so I know that will factor into losing 1-2lbs of boost off the top. From those who have supercharged the stock LQ9 before me, what is my max target boost before I run into driveability issues? Thanks in advance as I am looking to add a smaller pulley at the time of install since I am tuning via BlackBear Autocal.

#2 psualumni

psualumni

SS Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

No suggestions on how much boost is too much? I've read on other forums guys running the 140ax on stock 5.0 Mustangs to 15lbs max on pump premium.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

#3 Johnnyblaze370

Johnnyblaze370

SS Member

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Name:Blaise
  • Year:2006
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

I broke a ring land at 6lbs. 

#4 psualumni

psualumni

SS Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Thanks

#5 cleansss20

cleansss20

Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Name:Tj
  • Year:2003

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

It all depends on tune. There are guys on here pushing 20# and are running fine and some like me who threw a rod out the side of the block at 8#. Depending on your boost levels you might have to do a SD tune instead of MAF sensor. I'm still waiting to get mine tuned again but I added meth injection this time as a little more insurance.

Procharger P1SC 3.85 pulley, 4l80e swap, 3600 Circle D converter, 160 t-stat, walbro 255 in-tank fuelpump hotwired, Obx lt headers, di/do magnaflow no cats, smoked tailights, blue led gauge cluster, blue led wideband gauge, blue led boost gauge, Pioneer Nav/Dvd double din, tinted windows

#6 psualumni

psualumni

SS Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

I'm tuning with Black Bear via EFI AutoCal. I told Jason I wanted to go with the the 140ax setup and a 3.00 pulley. I thinking this should put down 11-13 lbs and make great power safely when tuned right.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sueprcharger, whipple, 140ax, boost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users