SS Member

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Victory Red
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

I had my mechanic install my built transmission for me, and they lost one of the front u joint needle bearing and decided to just omit the driveshaft for the test drive. They brought it up o highway speed and made sure it shifted trough all the gears. Would this be enough to smoke the viscous coupling in the transfer case? I have done a load of reading about pulling the shaft for burn outs and 2x4 dynos.... And they all say it's catastrophic. Has anyone been through this? What symptoms should a guy look for?

#2 Downeast Johnny

Downeast Johnny

John

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

It's definitely a NO NO.  Is the dumbass mech on notice that he may owe you a T-case?

Have you put it back together correctly and test driven it?

#3 1BAD2K

1BAD2K

US A-Hole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • Color:Silver Birch Metallic
  • Year:2006
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

More than likely they humped the viscous coupler. I have the tool to check it for sale. The only other thing you would need is a torque wrench. That's the only way to know for sure is to check it.

Edited by 1BAD2K, 24 April 2017 - 02:04 AM.

Current build: 2006 RCSB 4x4 - LS6, magnacharger, 4l80e, circle D, hydroboost, corsa, arh, beltech, coilovers, nvg149, baer+z06 upgrade, intro wheels... full on SS clone in the making.

#4 SilveradoJakee

SilveradoJakee

SS Member

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Name:Jake
  • Color:Dark Grey Met
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

Very bad! 9/10 the viscous coupler is wasted. Would take it to another shop and have them inspect it. Had a buddy of mine do the samething. He drove it less than a mile. Ended up costing him some bucks for the customer.
Easiest way to say it is he is the luckiest guy in the world if nothing is wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users