SS Member

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Name:erick
  • Owns:Fan
  • Color:Silver Birch Metallic
  • Year:2003

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Found A Great Priced 04 JGP Tahoe , so after being on the look for a jgp Silvy for a long I pulled the trigger On this .Thanks to many who purchased SS parts off me in order to get some money together
With Supercharger / Whole Package Just Missing 14" Rotors . Has 208xxx miles but in great overall shape . Has Transmission slipping from 2/3rd gear. Need to get that fixed as well as transfer case I believe . Also all new rotors and calipers , any recommendations on a good set up is helpful, I know Baer is a favorite amongst sport trucks but pricey. Front bumper ad Hood Have rock chips and paint fading , and a few door dings . Nothing major , Couldn't be happier with this find Anyone have exact numbers for these / I believe the tahoes were less produced , any info helps 7fa52670073ad46025d0806a258a64ff.jpgd687bcf8f7ca87f8a32c498b6f230cd1.jpgf01cf45f478f97c95a3abd718a90d467.jpg

Edited by GMConStocks, 19 March 2017 - 09:15 PM.

sierra.jpg

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4.8. Painted to Match Escalade Handles, GMC Grille Emblem. 20% tint front 2, 5% back window. Regency chrome pillar. Joe Gibbs Performance 20" / 22" OEM CK156. Red Painted Calipers. Recon LED Taillights. Shaved Tailgate handle with Sir Michaels Handle Relocator. Snugtop Low Profile Tonneau Cover. True Flow Air Filter.  

#2 1BAD2K

1BAD2K

US A-Hole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Owns:SS
  • Year:2006
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Very nice. There is a dude selling a front brembo set up (like 4000$ kit) on the performance truck site. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Current build: 2006 RCSB 4x4 - LS6, magnacharger, 4l80e, circle D, hydroboost, corsa, arh, beltech, coilovers, nvg149, baer+z06 upgrade, intro wheels... full on SS clone in the making.

#3 chevyss05tx

chevyss05tx

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Color:Victory Red
  • Year:2005

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

Congrats on JGP Tahoe! :thumbsup:

sss2pic

05 Silverado SS 2WD

#4 EXGM

EXGM

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Neat truck!

#5 Downeast Johnny

Downeast Johnny

John

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts
  • Color:Black
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Nice score on the "Hoe".  I always liked those Gibbs wheels.

With the mileage on her and knowing shes got trans and maybe T-case trouble,  I wouldn't be spending major bucks on aftermarket brakes.  (But that's just my tight assed opinion).

#6 GMConStocks

GMConStocks

SS Member

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Had a cleaner set of wheels and when I swapped them I noticed it's mainly rear rotors that are pretty bad . Might just get the best option at Napa with my mechanics discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sierra.jpg

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4.8. Painted to Match Escalade Handles, GMC Grille Emblem. 20% tint front 2, 5% back window. Regency chrome pillar. Joe Gibbs Performance 20" / 22" OEM CK156. Red Painted Calipers. Recon LED Taillights. Shaved Tailgate handle with Sir Michaels Handle Relocator. Snugtop Low Profile Tonneau Cover. True Flow Air Filter.  

#7 1BAD2K

1BAD2K

US A-Hole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

Nice score on the "Hoe".  I always liked those Gibbs wheels.

With the mileage on her and knowing shes got trans and maybe T-case trouble,  I wouldn't be spending major bucks on aftermarket brakes.  (But that's just my tight assed opinion).

True, but a perfect time to upgrade trans and convert to 149 and t case!
Current build: 2006 RCSB 4x4 - LS6, magnacharger, 4l80e, circle D, hydroboost, corsa, arh, beltech, coilovers, nvg149, baer+z06 upgrade, intro wheels... full on SS clone in the making.

#8 Downeast Johnny

Downeast Johnny

John

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Had a cleaner set of wheels and when I swapped them I noticed it's mainly rear rotors that are pretty bad . Might just get the best option at Napa with my mechanics discount

I replaced my OEM front discs with the larger option and rear stock size rotors and all four corners calipers with NAPA stuff and have no complaints.  IMO you have to be careful about buying any of the parts chain parts.  Just spend the bucks for their top of the line parts.

True, but a perfect time to upgrade trans and convert to 149 and t case!

True enough.  Money allowing it just go with an 4L80 soon as you can.

#9 GMConStocks

GMConStocks

SS Member

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to trans . What's the better outcome if I put a 4l80? Also what's a 149 if I may ask

sierra.jpg

#10 Downeast Johnny

Downeast Johnny

John

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

The stock transmission in the SS Silverado trucks,  (And I assume your Tahoe), is the 4L65E and is a week link in the drivetrain once you start adding power.  A popular transmission swap is to go to the substantially heavier duty 4L80.  It is not a direct swap and therefore somewhat involved.  Also the gearing in the most common versions of the "80" that you'll run across in salvage yards is taller and performance will suffer some with stock power.  There are aftermarket outfits who offer modified 80's with altered gearing and there are companies offering altered frame crossmembers, (which you would need also).  All that obviously gets to be a fair project and somewhat expensive,  (Although salvage yard 80's are not expensive).

The 149 that 1Bad mentions is the stock full time AWD transfer case that came in the Silverado SS.  (The AWD versions obviously).

I don't know what T-case your Tahoe came with but the 149 is a good one and  will stand up to fairly high HP numbers.

The 4L65E can be modified to stand up to a fair amount of HP and as you are needing some work done to yours anyway it would be wise to study those mods and decide which your truck might benefit from depending on future power adding mods you might want to pursue.

#11 someotherguy

someotherguy

Veteran SS Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Name:Richard

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

I'm a jackass but I'd use the opportunity to put a 2WD 4L80E in there and chuck the transfer case and front half shafts. :)

Pretty cool Tahoe.  I respect that the spoiler is a Joe Gibbs item and part of the overall package but I'd have to remove it and stash it in a safe spot in the garage...

Richard

06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

#12 JGTahoe05

JGTahoe05

SS Newbie

• 19 posts
  • Name:Aaron

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

the spoiler is not part of the gibbs package

#13 JGTahoe05

JGTahoe05

SS Newbie

• 19 posts
  • Name:Aaron

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

exact #s will never be known, but Ive been told it was around 100 for the Tahoes. I also picked up a black awd SC tahoe less than a year ago and have loved every second of it.

#14 someotherguy

someotherguy

Veteran SS Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Name:Richard

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

the spoiler is not part of the gibbs package

PULL IT :) :)

Richard

06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

#15 EXGM

EXGM

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Name:Matt

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

The stock transmission in the SS Silverado trucks,  (And I assume your Tahoe), is the 4L65E .

All Tahoes and any GM truck with a 5.3 or 4.8 had the 4L60. The 65 only came in higher output horsepower applications by GM. So trucks with the 65 would be the SSS, any vortex max, H2, Denali, TBSS and Escalade..... since the Gibbs were modified by 3rd party it just had a regular old 60.

Edited by EXGM, 22 March 2017 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users