Aftermarket rotors for an 06 SSS

edgarss44

I got the Baer brake slotted and drilled rotors in the factory size. Love em'. I posted a thread when I put them on my 06 but I can't find it on my phone may have to break out the laptop.......

Found it!

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/88378-out-with-the-old/?do=findComment&comment=984607

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

Thanks guys for all the responses! Those Baer rotors look good! Are they a direct replacement for stock?

Yes direct bolt on. They do make a 1inch upgrade so I think 14inch rotor but they are expensive. Both use stock caliper and pad. The 14 inch comes with a bracket to relocate the caliper. The rotors come with a zinc finish that has held up well.... but I live in the south so no salt here. Heck we don't even get that much rain.....

Yes direct bolt on. They do make a 1inch upgrade so I think 14inch rotor but they are expensive. Both use stock caliper and pad. The 14 inch comes with a bracket to relocate the caliper. The rotors come with a zinc finish that has held up well.... but I live in the south so no salt here. Heck we don't even get that much rain.....

thats what I'm looking for direct bolt on! My only question is I heard something about drilled rotors weren't good for trucks because of the weight or something?

Probably if you buy cheap ones..... the Baer have a long warranty if I recall. The rotor was also thicker than the OE ones. I bought them for occasional towing and everyday driving. So far no cracks.... but I only drive truck about 500 miles a month back and forth to work. I can snap a picture later today but they still look good. If you abuse them I'm sure they willl crack. A lot boils down the the quality you buy.... If I recall they are made in USA which was a requirement of mine. I work for a heavy duty truck OEM and brakes is what I do for a living so I'm a bit of a brake geek. Where you run into problems is with cracking is too high of heat.....poor metallurgy.... then you can run into cracking issues. Brake material also is important because too aggressive will either eat the brake surface (drum or rotor) or have fast pad shoe wear. OE friction is typically a balance between good heat and wear characteristics..... I could ramble all day about it but you don't care..... no do I care to type alll day...... lol.

It's my understanding from people way smarter about brakes than I am, the drilled rotors are 100% bling. Many years ago, racing pad compounds that emitted a lot more gasses under heavy use could benefit from drilled rotors. Today's pad compounds do not need them at all, and in many cases they are a source for cracks in the rotor.

There's also a school of thought that is taking hold that what many people mistake for rotor "warping" is actually just pad material that has become stuck to the rotors due to riding the brakes or other poor braking habits. Slotted rotors seem to help with this. To the degree that Mopar solved "warping" problems on their early SRT8's by doing a recall on the smooth rotors and replacing them with slotted. So my little anecdotal addition to this: when I first bought my '06 300C SRT8 it had smooth rotors and a bit of wobble when braking. I swapped 'em out for OEM-style slotted rotors sold by Raybestos, and installed some Wagner TQ ceramic pads. This was probably 30K miles ago and haven't had any trouble out of them other than those pads squeal like bastards the first application or two when cold, like backing out of the driveway first thing. Other than that they are nice and quiet.

Lots of marketing hype behind brake rotors and about 90% of it is total bullshit. Go with a good brand of rotor and pad and don't pay too much for hype. I'd skip the drilled but that's just me. Unless you're increasing the size of the rotor dramatically (increasing swept area), or upgrading calipers to something with more clamping force, you're not going to see any real improvement from a rotor swap. Pad selection can play a big role in braking performance but still limited to the capability of the rotor & caliper combination.

Richard