Noob needs some rear end advice.

Hello all,

New member here. Discovering vehicles as a hobby late in life. I do have some good basic mechanical skills and am not afraid to tackle most things as long as I can follow a good guide. So about 3 years ago I replaced my trusty '97 1500 cheyenne with a really nice example '04 AWD Silverado SS. Its not my daily driver, it sits and looks pretty mostly, I use it when I need a truck for truck things, or in the winter when it snows here, or for a country drive here and there. Anyways I killed the rear end in it a few months ago and have been saving up some cash for an upgrade/repair.

I wanted some opinions from SS owners on which parts to go with. I want an upgrade in reliability mainly. Im guessing the diff failed, from what I read this is common? So Im guessing I need a diff and new set of gears maybe. I honestly dont know, Ive never messed with drive line stuff before and I will most likely be taking it to a shop for the repair unless you guys tell me its basic stuff and to go for it myself. I would like to hear what you guys are guessing failed and what I will need to replace. Also what mild upgrades you recommend. This truck is going to stay stock as far as motor goes so I just want it very reliable for stock power. I do have some fun with this truck here and there but Im not a kid, I dont beat on it really, just the occasional hard launch or 4 wheel snow drift.

So yeah before I go to a shop or open it up myself I want to research what some parts options are going to cost me and most likely what I will be replacing. Really any advice here is welcome and yes I have used the search function but the amount of information that pops up is overwhelming so I figured I would just post.

Thanks in advance for any help guys :thumbsup:

It's odd your rear blew up. Typically the front diff is the one that goes. You need some special tools to setup a rear end properly you need a GOOD dial indicator to check backlash. I don't feel comfortable doing, if its not perfect you'll be doing again. If it was me I would pay someone and have it done right. I like OE parts but I'm sure others will chime in. Places like Yukon gear use parts from India and I have heard (no pun intended) they are noisy. Knew a tech who bought their gears and parts for his Jeep. He wished he would have paid a little more and got a better gear set.

Just my opinion on this, I am by no means an expert, but I would figure your G80 took a crap on you. It really isn't the best piece of the puzzle in the rear end. Id look into a set of OEM gears for it if the gears got chewed up and a TrueTrac or Eaton Posi LSD. I have used Richmond and Motive gears in a couple of past builds, the Richmond whined like crazy, Motive werent bad. Might consider doing a TA girdle with the stud kit. Should be good as gold with those parts. I am also in the same boat as EXGM and do not trust myself to do gear installs so Ive always used the same local shop.

Just my opinion on this, I am by no means an expert, but I would figure your G80 took a crap on you. It really isn't the best piece of the puzzle in the rear end. Id look into a set of OEM gears for it if the gears got chewed up and a TrueTrac or Eaton Posi LSD. I have used Richmond and Motive gears in a couple of past builds, the Richmond whined like crazy, Motive werent bad. Might consider doing a TA girdle with the stud kit. Should be good as gold with those parts. I am also in the same boat as EXGM and do not trust myself to do gear installs so Ive always used the same local shop.

Yep! Sounds like the typical death of the G80. Go with a trutrac, and motive gears (I believe they make the oem ones.) Like red03 suggested look into a girdle and arp main cap studs. Most of the hurdles are made by the same company like Moser and ta, so just go with the better deal. Unless you can set up a gear set, you'll need to have it professionally done. You're probably looking around a grand or so all said and done if you can find some deals online for parts.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)