When do you consider your mileage to be too high?

red03

Mine has 189k and has yet to give me any issues, I religiously mantain it. You are much better off financially to buy a 6k supercharger than to take a 6k or more hit from trade in. Sure, the newer trucks have more bells and whistles but are much, much better off keeping until it is unfeasible to maintain on the road.

Ultimately it boils down to two things:

1. Financial

2. Emotional

Which one means more to you is purely up to you. I will say this:

A 6,10, or even 15k loss in "trade in value" on a paid off truck is much easier to hide in the glory of a new pick up rather than spending the same amount in go fast parts.

Edited by 1981evildisco (see edit history)

I think you guys (and my wife) have me talked into keeping it. While I will say the single cabs hold a special place in my heart, I dont want to take the hit on trading it in. I can usually substantiate keeping it by going out and driving it. I am currently in the process of re-building my 250r with a 363 sphinx engine, so I do have other side projects to keep me busy. If I didnt have a pile of money tied up in the 250r trying to get ready for dune season, Id heavily consider making a trip to DFW and buying 1BAD2K's blower, but Im fixing to shell out around 2500 for the R's engine package. I also know Ill get raped come tax time by Uncle Sam, so no extra money there lol. To top it all off I am at the mercy of the oilfield with my job, so I am trying to save up a pile of money before we inevitably go bust again. Do me a favor gentleman, when your children ask for advice on what they should do when they grow up, tell them to go get a computer related degree of some sort and they will be set for life.

my old man put 380,000 miles on his 1966 Pontiac. Heads never off the block not even a cam change. Ex Airforce mechanic. He was original owner.

Kept records of everything gas mileage & gallons used. Tire rotation dates and miles on snow tires, brake shoe, hoses, plug & points replacements........He had more $ in oil & filters than purchase price of the car. Wreck took it off the road 10 years ago or he'd still be driving it.

It's all about the maintenance, he changed oil & filter every 2500 miles.

my old man put 380,000 miles on his 1966 Pontiac. Heads never off the block not even a cam change. Ex Airforce mechanic. He was original owner.

Kept records of everything gas mileage & gallons used. Tire rotation dates and miles on snow tires, brake shoe, hoses, plug & points replacements........He had more $ in oil & filters than purchase price of the car. Wreck took it off the road 10 years ago or he'd still be driving it.

It's all about the maintenance, he changed oil & filter every 2500 miles.

lol damn thing must have been a tank!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad your keeping the truck. They are great dependable trucks when properly maintained. Even though they are two truck design generations behind, I still get compliments.

I get the same.... you don't see many. It helps the design has aged well..... I just turned 63k its becoming a beater..... lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have 118K on my black 04 SSS. Other than oil changes (regularly) the only issue I had was the anti lock brake actuator needed to be repaired. That's it. I also don't drive it like an **** either. I am only 34 but drive it like a respectable adult. If I want speed or hooliganism I take my motorcycle. My mom and sister are coming to visit me in Italy, I plan on loading that bad boy up and going thru 3 or 4 countries. I never had any issues and my truck has been to Germany, England, Italy, Austria. Not like there is a local chevy dealer where I can get parts #trust!

I have the opposite problem with miles on mine and being worried about things breaking.

I've now got 27k on mine and I always wonder if I'm doing a lot of damage to it not driving it more like others. Because I don't drive it that much, I'm scared to take it on longer trips in fear something will break on it from not being driven much.

I wouldn't worry much about that. If your not finding any spots on the ground I'd just start taking it out on some day trips every weekend. Seals go dry I would think thats the only worry. Do a good once over top & bottom check wires, hoses & belts and then have some fun!

• 3 weeks later...