When do you consider your mileage to be too high?

red03

Im beginning to consider selling my SS, it recently hit 124,000 on the odometer. The high miles bother me, but at the same time they dont. I wouldnt hesitate to jump in the truck and take off for Florida right now. It is honestly the highest mileage truck I have ever owned though and I am considering getting rid of the truck. My wife wants me to keep it since it is payed off and she loves it, I might drive the truck once or twice a month since I have a company truck. It just sits in the garage. For some reason single cabs have always held a special place in my heart, one of our dealerships has a black 2011 single cab with 54,000 miles on it. I know I would get taken to the cleaners if I went and traded my SS in, probably wouldnt fetch 9000 on a trade in. I would consider listing it on craigslist but the SS dont seem to be selling in our area like they used to. It might sell in a week and it might sell in a year. I am looking into another single cab for track purposes, I know I would be way ahead dumping money into the single cab. I have considered supercharging my SS as I have become bored with it, problem is we are looking into buying a house at the beginning of next year when my lease is up. I cant really just dump 6k on a blower right now since Im trying to save my pennies. Id like some opinions of my fellow SS brethren. I apologize for the long rant, but most of my friends are lifted truck guys who gave me shit in the first place for buying an SS and God forbid you lower a truck, so their opinions are somewhat lost with me.

125,000 is nothing I'm at 195,000 still runs like a champ do your oil changes on time my opinion the 2007-2013 trucks didn't really look all that great and when the 2014 trucks came out looked so nice I couldn't see why anyone wouldn't skip over that whole generation of gm trucks.

Your wife is probably right financially maybe a cam installed would help spark some interest until you get into your house and then start working on the supercharger install.

Agreed. My last one was at 135k when I traded it in and it still ran like a new truck. The one I have now is setting at 97k and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted at least another 100k before needing any significant work done to it. I agree with your wife too. I'd say tough it out for a while (I'm using that term lightly since you already have a nice truck), and wait until after you're settled in to the new place before reevaluating whether you want to upgrade the truck you have, or get something newer.

To answer the original question though, to me, it isn't "too high" until the cost of keeping the truck on the road outweighs the reliability and fun of having the vehicle. I've seen a couple of these trucks with over 500k and still running fine, so your mileage isn't even close to what they are proven to be capable of doing by others. It's all subjective though, so high miles to one person may mean they're pushing 30k, while someone else doesn't blink an eye over 150k.

Edited by levilz (see edit history)

125,000 is nothing I'm at 195,000 still runs like a champ do your oil changes on time my opinion the 2007-2013 trucks didn't really look all that great and when the 2014 trucks came out looked so nice I couldn't see why anyone wouldn't skip over that whole generation of gm trucks.

Your wife is probably right financially maybe a cam installed would help spark some interest until you get into your house and then start working on the supercharger install

Oil changes always done on time by me, guy I bought it off of serviced it like no one Id ever seen before. First transmission filter change was done at 25,000 then at 75,000. At 118,000 I serviced the whole truck, front and rear diffs, transfer case, new pads and rotors all the way around. Truck also has dual electric fans, Blackbear EFI Live Tune, Longtubes, Corsa sport, Shift kit with servos, TBSS intake swap with flex fuel injectors, Volant cai, and the truck has had a Trucool 40K since around 50000 miles added by the previous owner. I have a Time2kill input gear adapter sitting on the shelf, and a 4l80e core in the storage shed. I guess my next step would be a cam or get busy rebuilding that 80e.

Agreed. My last one was at 135k when I traded it in and it still ran like a new truck. The one I have now is setting at 97k and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted at least another 100k before needing any significant work done to it. I agree with your wife too. I'd say tough it out for a while (I'm using that term lightly since you already have a nice truck), and wait until after you're settled in to the new place before reevaluating whether you want to upgrade the truck you have, or get something newer.

Quote by my wife, "Tough sh*t honey, I like my heated power seat......and its soooo pretty." Her suggestion was to keep it forever like I had planned, then after we get into a house and get settled, to save up and buy a single cab if I really want one. She thinks that if I supercharge it eventually I wont care about getting another single cab which is probably right. I think she is a keeper lol

Probably what I will do. Cant decide between a custom grind or an off the shelf. Im tempted heavily by an off shelf grind such as the Vinci Trucker or BTR Stage 3 Truck cam to use in the truck until I go forced induction, then I would get a custom grind blower cam, and yank the off the shelf cam and sell it to someone else. Used off the shelf grinds sell really well in my area.

Probably what I will do. Cant decide between a custom grind or an off the shelf. Im tempted heavily by an off shelf grind such as the Vinci Trucker or BTR Stage 3 Truck cam to use in the truck until I go forced induction, then I would get a custom grind blower cam, and yank the off the shelf cam and sell it to someone else. Used off the shelf grinds sell really well in my area.

Curious if anyone has experience with the BTR Truck cams in these trucks? I just saw another member post about possibly installing one.

I don't think the mileage is that high but I traded my first one in when it had 100k on it. I have a tendency to get rid of any vehicle I have once they hit the century mark even though I take extremely good care of all of my vehicles. I understand the getting bored thing, it happens to me too and those single cabs are really nice and look awesome when customized. I actually almost went that route but just didn't fit my family dynamic at the moment

The 100K stigma is based on the fact that not too long ago a Detroit made vehicle was toast after 100K. (OK; "Not too long ago" depends on your perspective.)

It's no longer the case but the stigma remains. So, 100,000 is too many miles when your trying to sell.

My truck is within a few thousand of hitting the mark and I am bummed about it even though it is in good shape and I am not looking to sell.

Old thoughts and myths die hard.

The 100K stigma is based on the fact that not too long ago a Detroit made vehicle was toast after 100K. (OK; "Not too long ago" depends on your perspective.)

It's no longer the case but the stigma remains. So, 100,000 is too many miles when your trying to sell.

My truck is within a few thousand of hitting the mark and I am bummed about it even though it is in good shape and I am not looking to sell.

Old thoughts and myths die hard.

So true.... it used to be when you hit 100k it was time to take it to the scrap heap. Now at 100k anymore they are just getting broken in....