Custom build: '58 Apache, K1500 chassis, AWD???

Hi folks, I'm brand new to the forum and in search of answers to questions that I don't think have ever been answered...at least from what I've researched.

As the title says, the shop and I have been working on putting a '58 Chevy Apache body on a 1991 K1500 frame and we're almost done. As I have also owned 2 Subarus, I'm addicted to AWD. The main purpose of this truck is all-weather street performance. That said, I know i have a truck so I'm not expecting an F1.

The truck is currently powered by an '85 350 but we will be swapping in a Corvette LT1 that's sitting in my garage. Behind it is a new and stronger NV3500 5speed transmission from SmartPartsAuto and a NP241 transfer case. I have 3.42 differentials (I'm pretty sure- confirmation to come). It rides on 18s with performance truck tires.

Now to the nitty gritty:

There are guys that 'reproduced' the S15 (AWD turbo S10) using an Astro Van transfer case and front differential, but while the transfer case will work with my transmission, the front differential and such will probably not fit. The option for me there is to lock the stock front diff into 4x and use the Astro AWD transfer case. The downside to this is that I'd be running the stock 4x front diff full-time whereas it was made for part-time...could possibly be an issue with premature wear.

The other option, which is why I'm here, is to try using the transfer case and front diff from an SS. So, the questions are:

Does anyone have any experience with the NV3500 transmission mating to your NP149?

Do you know what issues I might have installing the SS front diff into the K1500's front end? Some potential issues are size, axle length, CV joints, electronics, etc.

I'm not sure I want 4.10s, so can I get higher gears for my diffs, like a 3.73 or 3.42?

I've probably forgotten things, but I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash. Clearance between body and frame, etc, is not really an issue, I've got plenty of that. Also I've got pretty much any information about the K1500 diff that you need, so don't hesitate to ask if it'll help solve the problems. Thanks in advance!

post-28721-0-50763800-1484326011_thumb.jpg

I have an extra np149 and front SS differential I am selling. That's gonna be a cool truck when it's done!

There is a rolling chassis available locally, but obviously I don't need all of that, so I'm interested in prices and specs (mileage, etc) on your parts to keep in mind if this route will work. Thank you!

Update: If any of you have information on your trucks such as spline counts for tranny/transfer, front diff, and CVs, as well as driveline lengths and connection type (if applicable)...pretty much anything I might need to do a swap, I'd appreciate that info.