Fuel pump question.

So sorry if this is a dumb question but the fuel pump on my 03 ss is on its way out and I'm going to replace it myself but can't figure out which Delphi pump I need to order. On rock auto or any other parts place they list 2 different ones. One has evap emissions and the other one doesn't. I don't want pull my old one till I have a new one here so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on which one I need or how to tell.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Too many choices to look at if you just go to RA and look up 2003 Silverado 1500 w/a 6.0 (like 20+ results.) A different way to look would be hit an official dealer parts site and find the GM part # for it, then punch it into RA's search bar and you'll see their listing for it and any direct equivalents. That way I found only 3 choices.

You should double check before ordering since it's your money, but I am pretty sure the AC Delco MU1005 (15205623) is the correct one; RA shows it out of stock but it's on Amazon for $207 with just a few left in stock.

Or if you want to save a few bucks and trust your existing sending unit you can get the AC Delco 19237643 pump replacement kit for $50

Tough call though since it would be my luck I'd do the cheap route and the sender would crap out soon afterwards, causing me to have to pop the bed again and replace everything.

By the way using the regular RA search it didn't even show the Delphi FG0316 which is what comes up when I use the GM part # in the search instead. So that's a little worrying

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Replace the whole unit and not just the pump. It's a crap job and the last thing you want to do is drop the tank a second time to save a few bucks. Also word of advice buy a good pump and don't cheap out on some aftermarket one for same reason.... I hate doing a job twice and I hate draining a tank.... you always end up spilling some and wearing some just saying.....voice of experience!

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

worth a watch

https://youtu.be/aIuWQ5EXJUE

https://youtu.be/hHJmz3s8Au8

https://youtu.be/QTLVIt3kzuQ

Wish I seen this before me and my brother dropped his tank in the driveway during plowing season that sucked more then I care to remember

worth a watch

Wish I seen this before me and my brother dropped his tank in the driveway during plowing season that sucked more then I care to remember

An interesting way to do.... might not work if you have a rusty truck as the bolts might not want to come out. Best way to do is with a lift and a trans jack. You can do in an hour....

Too many choices to look at if you just go to RA and look up 2003 Silverado 1500 w/a 6.0 (like 20+ results.) A different way to look would be hit an official dealer parts site and find the GM part # for it, then punch it into RA's search bar and you'll see their listing for it and any direct equivalents. That way I found only 3 choices.

You should double check before ordering since it's your money, but I am pretty sure the AC Delco MU1005 (15205623) is the correct one; RA shows it out of stock but it's on Amazon for $207 with just a few left in stock.

Or if you want to save a few bucks and trust your existing sending unit you can get the AC Delco 19237643 pump replacement kit for $50

Tough call though since it would be my luck I'd do the cheap route and the sender would crap out soon afterwards, causing me to have to pop the bed again and replace everything.

By the way using the regular RA search it didn't even show the Delphi FG0316 which is what comes up when I use the GM part # in the search instead. So that's a little worrying

Richard

Great response Richard. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dunno if Nunya is in the rust belt :) but down here in SE TX many of us just pop the bed off. Richard

A couple buddy's to help with the lift makes this the way to go. The only thing you have to do under the truck is remove the bed bolts and taillight wiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses guys. I plan to just unbolt the bed and slide it back. With work and holidays i still haven't had the time to replace it but plan to in the next week or two.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is how I like to do shortbed trucks. :) It takes an engine hoist with extendable legs though; if you use the regular style it is very easy for it to just dump over forward on you and that would suck really bad.

7046_05.jpg

A different approach on a longed truck; leaving just the very rear 2 bolts in place but loosened a bunch. I don't think this would work at all on an SS though because the fit between the bumper cover and cladding would almost surely be too close. This was just a beat-up old work truck with a cowboy step bumper (actually looks like I'd pulled it at that point anyway), so no worries. Food for thought.

96fuel_01s.jpg

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

I just replaced mine and used the Delphi FG0053 unit. I has the upgraded harness connector included that you will have to splice into your current wire harness. I pulled the fuel tank, but it was a job. Only easy way is to cut a hole in the bed, but most people don't want to do that to an SS truck. Tilting or sliding the bed back is probably easier than lowering the tank, but I have not done it that way. Just my two cents.