Help!!!! Trans problem!!!

I am having trouble with my transmission not shifting into 4th gear when ambient temp is below 45F. I am aware that this does happen to a lot of people when it's cold out, and after the trans warms up, it will shift normal to 4th. But my trans will not shift into 4th ever when it's cold unless I drive it to normal operating temp, then park it, shut off engine, pull the keys, open the door, close the door, and then restart my truck. I am guessing this has something to do with the TCC, but am not sure. Both shift solenoids, filter, and fluid are new as of this year. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am running a Vigalanti 3200 Stall Torque Converter. But this is the only modification to the drivetrain.

Edited by CB03SS (see edit history)

Are you sure its the trans not shifting into 4th or is it the converter not going into lock up? Sounds a lot like what my truck used to do when it was cold outside. Took even longer for the trans fluid to heat up enough with the 40k cooler that in the winter i could drive to work and still never go into lockup. But once it was warmed up it was fine in mine.

Are you sure its the trans not shifting into 4th or is it the converter not going into lock up? Sounds a lot like what my truck used to do when it was cold outside. Took even longer for the trans fluid to heat up enough with the 40k cooler that in the winter i could drive to work and still never go into lockup. But once it was warmed up it was fine in mine.

If it is a no lock up problem. What did you do to fix it?

Like I said, mine was fine after the trans temp got up to i think 100 or so. It only wouldnt go into lock up when it was cold. I didnt really have to fix anything, just drive long enough for the trans fluid to get warm and everything was fine. But sometimes its difficult to tell the difference between the trans shifting into 4th gear and the converter locking up which was why I asked if you were sure if it was the actual trans not shifting. Start by verifying with some sort of scan tool. If Muggs or someone in your area has HPTuners that should be able to let you monitor which gear you are in and if/when the converter locks up. You can also force the trans and converter to do what you want them to with HPT as well.

Also, and I know this is probably a stupid question and I am in no way trying to insult your intelligence. But did you happen to check the fluid level in the trans? All sorts of goofy shit can happen if it is low on fluid.

Like I said, mine was fine after the trans temp got up to i think 100 or so. It only wouldnt go into lock up when it was cold. I didnt really have to fix anything, just drive long enough for the trans fluid to get warm and everything was fine. But sometimes its difficult to tell the difference between the trans shifting into 4th gear and the converter locking up which was why I asked if you were sure if it was the actual trans not shifting. Start by verifying with some sort of scan tool. If Muggs or someone in your area has HPTuners that should be able to let you monitor which gear you are in and if/when the converter locks up. You can also force the trans and converter to do what you want them to with HPT as well.

Also, and I know this is probably a stupid question and I am in no way trying to insult your intelligence. But did you happen to check the fluid level in the trans? All sorts of goofy shit can happen if it is low on fluid.

I just took it for a drive again to see if it was just not locking up. I drove it at around 55mph and downshifted into 3rd and there was a rise in rpm meaning I am getting 4th but it is not locking up. My trans temp got to around 175ish and still didn't have lock up. Fluid is at the correct level ? I had to once again pull over and shut my truck down and restart and drive again to get lock up. Basically, I can drive 100 miles and the trans temp can be nice and warm and I will not get lock up unless I shut down my engine and restart. Do you have any idea what can be causing this? I want to thank you again for all the advice you have been giving me.

• 4 weeks later...