Go from aftermarket back to stock 6 CD? (Bose truck)

Thinking about it because my ISS has a poorly-done Pioneer touchscreen install. They didn't do the steering wheel control adapter, and the chime adapter is getting flaky too. Plus the thing just sounds crappy, maybe because they left the stock speakers in place? I don't know much about what all you have to do when taking out a Bose unit and putting in aftermarket but I'm guessing there's a factory amp that is no longer in play?

Was considering buying the stock 6 disc unit that has the aux input mod, and calling it a done deal. Thoughts?

Richard

eh, it's the Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD which appears to be a 2013 model. Got good ratings (4.5 on Crutchfield) and it's in perfect shape, I dunno if I'd sell it as it would cost a bunch more to replace it with anything similar. Seems they're still selling new for about $225 and used for around $100+.

It works fine but I guess I'd be a little happier with it if I got a steering wheel control adapter and probably replace the chime adapter. The big thing though is it just doesn't sound that great. Am I correct in thinking the factory speakers are a bad match for aftermarket units?

I'm not looking to do a crazy install on the truck, or even a semi-crazy one. I'm done with that kind of stuff for the most part. I just want it to sound good (which I think it -could-), get reasonably loud, and have a non-ipod aux input. So far it's just got the aux part covered for me. ;)

Richard

you can hard wire an aux cable to the rear of the OEM nav unit. i had a nav unit from an h2 in my old rig. it did make a noticeable difference in the sound quality as well as changed the chime.

be ware some dealers try and take you for a ride when you go to have them programmed. one dealer told me it wasnt even possible and i needed a whole new unit. while the other dealer did it for 96$ in a half hour.

now it also depends if who ever installed this aftermarket radio turned your wiring into a big pot of spaghetti. its very possible they cut your stock harness up to make it work with the radio. if its all messed up it could cost you more than its worth to go back to a stock radio.

eh, it's the Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD which appears to be a 2013 model. Got good ratings (4.5 on Crutchfield) and it's in perfect shape, I dunno if I'd sell it as it would cost a bunch more to replace it with anything similar. Seems they're still selling new for about $225 and used for around $100+.

It works fine but I guess I'd be a little happier with it if I got a steering wheel control adapter and probably replace the chime adapter. The big thing though is it just doesn't sound that great. Am I correct in thinking the factory speakers are a bad match for aftermarket units?

I'm not looking to do a crazy install on the truck, or even a semi-crazy one. I'm done with that kind of stuff for the most part. I just want it to sound good (which I think it -could-), get reasonably loud, and have a non-ipod aux input. So far it's just got the aux part covered for me. ;)

Richard

You cannot use stock speakers with an aftermarket radio, it will NEVER sound good in these trucks. Bose sets up that system very specific. I would either get a 4 channel amp and new speakers, or go back to a stock head unit. Would sound much better.

That's what I was thinking, but memory is vague on what I've read and the Bose setup is new to me as these SS's are my first GMT800 series trucks. Got the truck this way and have been unimpressed by the sound, just haven't made up my mind about what to do with it yet.

I'm really tempted to go with one of the stock 6 disc units that has been modded for the aux jack up front. It's a little more than I would like to spend for a stock HU but it should cover the bases for what I want, and not be a cobbled-together pile of parts behind the dash.

Richard

I didn't look close enough at your truck, but your wife's truck has the original bose equipment in it.

My personal truck was missing a head unit when I bought it. They ripped the Boom boom stuff out and left all the cables... They also left the speakers in the doors. I want to say there Orion Cobalt series.

I had to fix the hack wiring job by getting some clean door harness and some plug in adapters for aftermarket speakers. There was some type of coil thing but I could not find any info and they were corroded.

I Placed both a single disc and a 6 disc unit in there and hands down the 6 disc unit sounded better and had better reception. The local dealer charged me $56 to program it. I have since purchased the Programing software and do it myself.

You can get them to come on and test them in acc mode but you can't drive the vehicle with it on while it's locked.

IMO the Navi Unit is a POS for what they go for used.

It's not hard to add the AUX port either.

The guys selling this unit say they will program your vin into it for free, if that's all it takes. My truck came with that unit originally so there shouldn't be any issues with my bcm if that comes into play.

Cool. Last I knew it was a dealer only service.

I didn't look close enough at your truck, but your wife's truck has the original bose equipment in it.

My personal truck was missing a head unit when I bought it. They ripped the Boom boom stuff out and left all the cables... They also left the speakers in the doors. I want to say there Orion Cobalt series.

I had to fix the hack wiring job by getting some clean door harness and some plug in adapters for aftermarket speakers. There was some type of coil thing but I could not find any info and they were corroded.

I Placed both a single disc and a 6 disc unit in there and hands down the 6 disc unit sounded better and had better reception. The local dealer charged me $56 to program it. I have since purchased the Programing software and do it myself.

You can get them to come on and test them in acc mode but you can't drive the vehicle with it on while it's locked.

IMO the Navi Unit is a POS for what they go for used.

It's not hard to add the AUX port either.

Do you have a link to the software? Is the aux port wired into the harness and just located in the dash or glove box?

Mine is originally the 6 disc as shown by the RPO list, so I'm good on that. When I had the door panel off, the speaker appeared to be the original, but not 100% sure. Seeing as how crappy it sounds with the Pioneer HU I'm betting they are the original speakers.

I've seen an older post here about wiring an AUX input in directly on the harness for the XM box, but they didn't give specifics, but that one obviously you could mount wherever you please. The modified 6 disc I'm talking about, the seller connects it directly inside the unit and mounts it in the unit's faceplate.

Richard

You tube shows you how to wire it in.

Ebay for the software. It's sold already installed on a laptop. You just need to buy a cable or a tech 2.

The tech 2 is cumbersome for past through programing. I have been considering getting a genuine mongoose cable for just that.

I use a genuine tech 2 FWIW.