Steering "Bump"

Hello all,

My steering "bump" is starting to come back again after the dealer re-lubed it last year. I tried searching but I couldn't find what grease is needed to re-lube the knuckle. I would rather do it myself than have the dealer do it again.

Thank you!

A clunk in the steering wheel? If so you need to replace your intermediate shaft with the latest design. Lubeing does nothing. I replaced mine two years ago when I got my truck and so far no problems. Granted I've only driven 12,000 miles. It's a pretty easy repair if you have some tools and basic knowledge.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. Since Ive owned the truck Ive had the dealer lube it twice and each time it would

A clunk in the steering wheel? If so you need to replace your intermediate shaft with the latest design. Lubeing does nothing. I replaced mine two years ago when I got my truck and so far no problems. Granted I've only driven 12,000 miles. It's a pretty easy repair if you have some tools and basic knowledge.

stop for about a year. This time im looking to do it myself.

Your saying that's not the case, then what could they have done to quell the bump?

Where is the best place to purchase the intermediate shaft from?

Didn't GM have a recall or TSB about this issue?

Thanks

I just found out there is a column bearing that has been known to cause the bump issue, has anyone else replaced one or is it mainly the shaft?

I recently replaced the column bearing and steering shaft. Extremely simple to do. I ran into no issues. Once completed the steering tighten up and I no longer had any bumps, noises etc.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. Since Ive owned the truck Ive had the dealer lube it twice and each time it would

stop for about a year. This time im looking to do it myself.

Your saying that's not the case, then what could they have done to quell the bump?

Where is the best place to purchase the intermediate shaft from?

Didn't GM have a recall or TSB about this issue?

Thanks

At one point GM's fix was to "relube" the I-shaft... then the fix was to "exercise" aka redistribute the grease. Final fix was a redesign of the shaft. I think they had at least two designs before they finally got it right. As far as recall's go they are ONLY issued for a safety defect. Something like a customer annoyance, which the intermediate shaft falls under is not a recall. Best way I can think to describe is it feels like something is tapping the steering... it typically is worst on bumpy roads and when you turn into a parking lot and drive over a curb cut when the suspension is flexing.

Did GM have TSB's on this... yes lots of them! The final TSB was to replace with the "updated" design.

I used to be able to get parts at a discount but don't have my connections where I live now. Your best bet is to find a place like gmparts.com (or similar). They are websites run by dealers who basically sell parts at cost plus 10% and then shipping. Typically they will be less then what "list" is at your local dealer.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)