Simple OEM Size Brake Upgrade...

CaptKirk

I had the same issue of a spongy pedal, and i mean spongy. The brake pedal would be on the floor and my truck would hardly stop. I did a small upgrade to the brakes and changed the pads and bled the piss out of the system. The same issues remained and the pedal would be on the floor and the truck wouldn't stop. WTF!! I bled the brakes and bled the brakes and bled them some more with same results. Finally I hooked up a Snap-on Scan computer that gave me access to the ABS, did the ABS self bleed function and felt improvement but not the best. I ended up doing the ABS bleed with the Snap-on tool about 10 times and my brakes have never felt better. After you do the ABS bleed you do have to do one final regular bleed at all 4 corners again as it purges the air and crap out of your ABS and puts it back into the lines. Again if you want great pedal feel and pressure do the ABS bleed with a scan tool that can access your ABS system, and you may need to do it multiple times but the ABS self bleed only takes a few minutes.

My brake fluid when I started this was also very dark green, so I do recommend changing brake fluid more often.

Brakes on my truck: Baer Eradispeed (larger rotors with relocation brackets for stock calipers), SS brake lines and new master cylinder. Truck stops great now and pedal feels 1000 x better.

Interesting. I called the shop who bled the system multiple times and they did not do the ABS bleed procedure, so I'll look into getting a scan tool that can do it. How much do they cost?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic