2003 Silverado SS

Hope someone can answer this for me. I want to upgrade to dual electric fans but the mechanic said I will need a new radiator. I read that it wasn't necessary, but he said I won't install unless you change the radiator? Someone please help me out. Also is oem fans the best to go with? Or does anyone recommend an aftermarket brand? Thanks.

I don't have to change the radiator. Not sure why he said that. I bought mine off of amazon they work great. You will have to get your computer tuned for the fans and you will need a harness. I got both done through Zippy.

Question. Is this just to free up some horsepower?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, even when the fan is not engaged it is still using power to turn. They typically don't turn as fast when they are not engaged. Besides freeing up a few extra hp it helps with fuel economy.... This is why now you see electric fans on all trucks now.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

That mechanic is either A. trying to scam you into spending more money on the truck or B shouldn't be working on vehicles if he really thinks you have to change the radiator to put in efans. I have a 2003 SSS and I got my dual Efans out of a early 2000's model grand Prix from the junk yard. I wired it up myself and used a relay wired into the PCM. Because early model SSS's were clutch fans and all SSS's use the same PCM there is a open plug on the PCM for the efan which you wire up from power supply to relay then to fans and computer. Then you program the computer to run the efans.

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah that's what I thought. I wish I knew how to change myself. Anyone in LA that wants to make some extra bucks installing? I want to start doing some upgrades but need a good mechanic who knows these trucks well.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm reminds me of a mechanic that use to work in my shop. he would quote jobs like that cuz he was guaranteed to bust the original radiator while doing the swap so he would say before starting the job gonna have to have a new radiator since he knew it would end up broke. must of been this guys thought process. lol

its easy. I did mine myself, even built my own harness. which I wouldn't do again. it sucked. lol