Transmission shot

So yesterday from a dead stop I gave it a 1/4 throttle to take off and I heard a loud bang tried putting it in any gear and no movement whatsoever,it was making a whinning noise so I looked under the truck but didn't see anything wrong like pieces or leaking fluid. Took it to a transmission shop and they got a used one in for $2100,today I get a call from them and they said install went good but it still won't go into gear and the loud whinning noise is still there he thinks it's the transfer case that caused the transmission to grenade and says a used transfer case will probably work 1000. Is there any truth to this I'm not really postive that the tranny and transfer case can both be shot when it was just driving fine one second and then bam both be bad. Any advice or suggestions would really help me out thanks!

Could be it was the T-case that went bad and the original trans was OK. They may be trying to cover their butt's by telling you the trans was blown as well as the T-case.

I agree.... Highly suspect. I've never seen a tcase take a trans out. Anything is possible but I would look in pan of old trans if full of metal or parts then it would lend a little more credibility to case. Have them pull pan while your there and show you. Chances are they drained but I wonder how did they come to the conclusion trans was toast?

Something doesn't seem right about that, i don't see how a transfer case would take out a trans. I wonder if the torque converter blew apart. I would definitely check the trans fluid and the transfer case.

I called them today and asked them exactly what they did and the guy seemed like he was confused by it too. He said that when they drained the tranny fluid there was definitely metal flakes so he thought it was the transmission,they changed it and it was still making the bad howling noise but now it will engage in gear but he doesn't recommend to drive it at all. He said that he has never seen it happen before where both go bad around the same time but he said the transfer case definitely is the problem.

I put in over $1500 in parts in my trans and labor ourselves and my trans has been through the ringer... Transmission shops are getting harder to find these days who know their stuff rather than guessing and throwing parts at things... For $2500 you could get a level 3 performance raptor transmission that comes complete up to a 2800 stall and withstand 600HP which is plenty for daily use driver and a small Maggie like the mp112 plus a warranty... The mega raptor level 4 is a more race ready transmission NEW!!! for $4000. You got boned on the price buddy... Check them out... https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/gm/?swoof=1&product_tag=transmissions&really_curr_tax=7941-product_cat

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)