thoughts on jones flowpack muffler with image

want some thoughts and opinions on a specific exhaust setup first ill explain the configuration...im going to cut off the factory muffler on my 04 ss install a jones flowpack muffler on each of the dual exhaust pipes,going to a y pipe to 90 degree elbow ending in some kind of tip exiting just infront of the right rear tire,my main concerns are with just how loud this configuration will most likely be if i should expect alot of drone with these mufflers in this location etc..

mufflers will be 2.5 id (13 inch case 5 inches round)

y- pipe will be 2.5 dual id to 3 inch single out

90 degree elbow will be 3 inch

post-28134-0-25949000-1463955580_thumb.png

I have 2 12" Jones glass packs that exit before the rear tire. Don't know if it's the same muffler. It drones quite a bit. It's not crazy loud. It's a good cheap set up I think. My next exhaust will be borlas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

just curious which borla mufflers your thinking exactly,i like that mufflers with packing usually are not to raspy but i dont like the fact that packing 9 times out of 10 burns out over time

instead of doing two mufflers, then a y-pipe into single tailpipe..why not just do a y-pipe before the muffler, then run single muffler and single tailpipe. thats what i did.

magnaflow y pipe (got wrong size OD and needed that extra reducer lol :slap: ), Aero Turbine 3535XL muffler, then 3.5" turndown before the axle. excuse the pics, they were two years ago in the middle of winter lol

duvu5ygu.jpg

daqajanu.jpg

cold start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeInc8wXzMY

short cruising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGaFxRIa-M

thats actually what i think im going to do with a magnaflow,is that aero real loud at idle? and any drone?

really like the look of a side exit but im still debating that to keep in cab noise down

and does anyone happen to know if the factory dual pipes are exactly 2.5 or are they a hair off closer to 2.75?

i believe theyre 2.5..because actually i ordered a 3" in y-pipe (magnaflow 10798), thinking stock piped were 2.75 and it was too big. had to run to the store and get reducers.in the first pic you can see stock pipe, reducer, y pipe, then 3-3.5 reducer for the muffler. its not the prettiest but no one can see it lol

i personally love my Aero. between the bigger 3.5" size and 6.0, its a nice and throaty at idle & cruising. mean af at WOT. it is a little loud while accelerating but that is also cause the turndown exit is facing the ground right behind the passenger cab. the drone calms down once maintaining speed. my music drowns it out anyway usually so to me its not bad at all

only other video i ever took with the exhaust. merging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIJ295Ktn4

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

yeah that sounds good i really like the look of the side exit i have a real mean looking slant cut y pipe style tip i want to use for side exit but im worried about the drone :(

i had a super 40 or something similar on my old 5.3 with a 3 inch side exit and it was god awful to the max with all the drone very strange tone i dont wish to experience ever again i guess screw it ill mock it up for a side exit use some band clamp style clamps if it drones screw it ill route it to the rear something like yours...bassmaster

bassmaster what is your single tube size is?

Edited by liftedssguy (see edit history)

good point, just band clamp it for a temp job and see how ye like the sound. if its no bueno at side exit, it wont be much, if any, better as my turndown before the axle. youd wanna do the dump over the axle to get the sound away from the cab.

my muffler is 3.5" in/out if thats what youre asking

I got the regular 3535 actually so no resonater. Just checked the price of one on eBay and the Jones brand was listed right with it. Looks very similar in looks & price. Those weren't around when I browsed 2yrs ago lol