A/C problems.....

LoneSStar

Hey guys, just jumped in the truck and the a/c compressor isn't engaging, it has been working fine the past few months since I had a new compressor installed, but the last few days I noticed it's not getting as cold? My scanner is saying I've got 25 psi on the high side?I'm not sure of the o.e.m specs at the moment...I'm thinking I've got a leak and low pressure switch kicked in? Not sure where to post a/c problems? Let me know what yall think?..thanks guys!!

Edited by LoneSStar (see edit history)

Yeah your high side should be waaaayyyyyy higher than that. Your low side should be in the 20-40PSI range. Even if it was low on refrigerant the compressor would still kick on, it would just stay on most of the time. So its something with the compressor or compressor clutch itself

EDIT: or you have another problem that can control the compressor engagement ex: power steering pump sensor

Edited by 03SSBoy (see edit history)

Maybe I'm wrong but in my experience, if its low enough or empty the compressor will not come on. There is a low pressure switch that cycles the compressor to maintain a range of pressure on the low side(big ac line). If its below a set pressure it doesn't allow it to come on. I agree if its just low it would TRY to run all the time, but the compressor would constantly cycle off and on because of the pressure switch.

well I appreciate the input guys,im gonna take it to a local shop and have the guy pull a vaccum on it and see if it leaks,if not then have him charge it up to spec, I really would like to buy a pump and a set of gauges and do it myself! but just cant see spending that kind of money on something ill rarely use? oh well, ill let yall know what I find, thanks!

Well ,had the the guy pull vaccum test and it failed, we did a dye check test,and couldn't find a dam thing...he filled the system to spec,and it held and ran good ,just went out and fired it up and the compressor isn't coming on again? I'm lost anybody know where to start on this ? Thanks guys!

Could be the evaporator in the cab.... Need to keep looking you just haven't found yet. Also you might have taken a rock to your condenser and have a hole in it.

how would I go about checkin out the evaporator,is it behind the glove box? and also after we charged the system,i thought I could smell freeon around the front of the truck by the radiator, guess I could pull the grill off and check it out,... thanks

how would I go about checkin out the evaporator,is it behind the glove box? and also after we charged the system,i thought I could smell freeon around the front of the truck by the radiator, guess I could pull the grill off and check it out,... thanks

Its a crappy job... you have to rip dash apart. Its best to use fluorescent die with a black light it glows so you can easily see. My guess if you smelled out front that you have a hole in the condenser... again black light is your friend if you used dye.

I pulled the condenser and pressure tested it,it seemed like it was holding air pressure, (I used air and covered the ports with a rag and blew air into it)I didn't see any wet spots on it? I'm thinking it's the evaporator, but I never smelled freeon in the cab? Anyone got info on how to remove the evaporator?

well,i replaced the condenser and the 2 lines coming off the compressor , with all new O-rings and took it back to my a/c guy and it still wont hold a vaccum??? im really worried now it might be the evaporator!, FML, :mad: guess ill keep looking ,then tear the dash out and see what I can find...

he injected dye again and used the black light,and couldn't find anything, he's still got the truck,and told me he was gonna use the sniffer next

You can remove the blower motor and blower resistor and take a peek at the evaporator from the passenger floorboard. You can see a portion of it. It could also be that new compressor.

well,i replaced the condenser and the 2 lines coming off the compressor , with all new O-rings and took it back to my a/c guy and it still wont hold a vaccum??? im really worried now it might be the evaporator!, FML, :mad: guess ill keep looking ,then tear the dash out and see what I can find...

he injected dye again and used the black light,and couldn't find anything, he's still got the truck,and told me he was gonna use the sniffer next

Don't mean to be offensive but, have you thought about taking it to a different A/C mechanic?

Best luck to you.