OEM vs Aftermarket Centercaps / Reps

psualumni

Hello all hope all is well. Just removed my wheels to scrub off the winter grime and noticed that I have reproduction wheels and not OEM as I thought. I guess the center cap should have been a give-away, but I assumed that the center caps were after market on OEM wheels. Anyway, I stated this thread to separate OEM from aftermarket when it comes to OEM vs reproductions. I am assuming that I have reproductions because I have the SS centercaps, and I found MADE IN CHINA stamped on the back of my wheel. I have included some pictures that I have found around the internet to determine which centercaps / wheels are OEM and which are reps.

My Center Cap:

IMAG0724_zpsuzhuvx3g_edit_1462207654206_

Back of Wheel:

IMAG0704_zpsqpx5wlko.jpeg

Which one of these are OEM?

Screenshot_2016-05-02-12-36-21_zpsh7izlo

or

Screenshot_2016-05-02-12-36-35_zps5ytef0

Assuming that OEM wheels have a GM part number or casting number stamped on the back?

The center cap in the middle is original, just a black outline of the chevrolet logo. Also, your center caps are not the Silverado SS fonts, as well as the center cap removal hole is round instead of square. You can also notice the attention to detail on the OEM caps. The fake torq screw holes on the OEM cap are blacked in, while the aftermarket are just chrome. Sorry, im a graphic designer. Attention to all details is key to success.

Edited by jddmj (see edit history)

Im looking for a set of OEM caps in silver if anybody has a set For sale let me know! 719 821 7188

I have a brand new set of silver oem caps. Not repo's. Bought 2 sets when they went up on eBay. If u want a set its going to be costly. $250 shipped for a set.

jddmy,

One of the first things I noticed was that the font on the SS was different. I also own a 2010 Cobalt SS, and ironically enough that is the SAME font as SS on the Cobalt! I am looking for a new set of wheels or center caps as the font does bug me (knowing that it belongs on my other car)! Thanks for your info as I think I am going to slap some OEM caps on these wheels temporarily as I am looking for a set of silver painted OEM wheels in pristine condition.

I'd agree that the wheels are probably reproductions too, but in other cases you can't always go by where it was made. While I'm 99% sure the OEM SS wheels are not Chinese (can't look at mine right now as they're on my truck at the paint shop), many brands have switched to China for their factory offerings. It sucks. I wanted to get a set of the newer model "black vapor" 300 SRT wheels (think Walter White's car in Breaking Bad, that's the color package) for my 1st gen 300 SRT, until I started seeing people talk about the coating peeling off. Those are Chinese wheels straight from Mopar. :(

Richard

I had my wheels off and the factory SS wheels were made in the US. GM has moved a lot of the sourcing for their wheels offshore (china). Heck most everybody has... there were a few companies that made rims in the US but I think all have left except the really high end stuff. Is there a problem with them that you want to replace them?

The GM wheels will have a GM logo in the lug area, easy to spot a rep. The Dorman brand center caps have the squared off release holes, but have no logo in the center.

These wheels have seen one Pennsylvania winter and the chrome is pitting and separating from the alloy wheel already. I'm not really impressed with how they are holding up, was hoping OEM wheels would be more durable and polish up real nice each spring. That and I don't like the SS center caps because the font doesn't match (looks cheesy to me).

I'd like to find a set of silver painted OEM wheels in great shape, if not I'll most likely throw some OEM center caps on these wheels.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Depending on a few things (shape of your wheels and tires and your willingness to meet in the middle) I may be interested in trading my silvers for your chromes. I was actually in Bloomsburg last weekend during the Penn Dutch Rally. Two of our stops were Marley's Brewery and the Rupert Covered Bridge. the mid-point would be around Bedford. Let me know If you might be interested and we can swap some pics and see if it's something we both want to do.

• 3 months later...