Mirror glass replacement - couple quickie Q's

RPO DL3 - says my mirrors are "remote control, electric, heated power folding, turn signal ind, lt sensitive, color elec heated o/s mir"

Easy enough to say the "power folding" is a misstatement. Yeah the mirrors are power adjustable, but they don't fold unless you shove 'em yourself. These trucks never got power folding, right?

lt sensitive = light sensitive meaning auto dimming?

With all those options looks like a replacement glass is $160, haven't been searching very long yet.

Just thinking I'd replace my driver's side glass as the heated part doesn't seem to work too well. While my passenger side mirror clears up almost immediately, the driver side takes forever. Works, just so slow it almost doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Richard

If its a factory mirror, its power fold. Most all replacement drivers' side glasses will not have the auto dimming feature. Only the OEM replacements ($300+) I've seen have that. Before you get crazy, maybe pop the glass out and see if the heat wires are plugged in, or one of the tabs didn't pull off.

To activate the power folding you put the side select to the middle the "remote" should turn orange in the middle. Then hold the selector part to the right and they will fold in. If the are out of sinc meaning manually folded you may need to cycle in and out a few times to sync back up. To fold out press switch to left. They usually get out of sync running through car washes when a person manually folds back to position rather then use switch. Super common problem people never knew how to use when these trucks were new. GM redesign the switch and operation on the NBS style trucks.

If its a factory mirror, its power fold. Most all replacement drivers' side glasses will not have the auto dimming feature. Only the OEM replacements ($300+) I've seen have that. Before you get crazy, maybe pop the glass out and see if the heat wires are plugged in, or one of the tabs didn't pull off.

I've found replacement glasses with all the functions including dimming, $160 and up. One brand does concern me a little as they mention the brand (GenTex) touting them as an OEM supplier - that's the glass already on the mirror and it sucks. (has part # starting with GNTX). I wouldn't suspect wires not plugged in or tab pulled off, as it does work, it just works significantly slower than the passenger side.

To activate the power folding you put the side select to the middle the "remote" should turn orange in the middle. Then hold the selector part to the right and they will fold in. If the are out of sinc meaning manually folded you may need to cycle in and out a few times to sync back up. To fold out press switch to left. They usually get out of sync running through car washes when a person manually folds back to position rather then use switch. Super common problem people never knew how to use when these trucks were new. GM redesign the switch and operation on the NBS style trucks.

Thanks for that explanation. I'd never known power fold was offered on this generation. I'll have to try it on mine and see if it's still got the factory mirrors then.

Richard

I've found replacement glasses with all the functions including dimming, $160 and up. One brand does concern me a little as they mention the brand (GenTex) touting them as an OEM supplier - that's the glass already on the mirror and it sucks. (has part # starting with GNTX). I wouldn't suspect wires not plugged in or tab pulled off, as it does work, it just works significantly slower than the passenger side.

Thanks for that explanation. I'd never known power fold was offered on this generation. I'll have to try it on mine and see if it's still got the factory mirrors then.

Richard

Make sure the rocker switch that chooses left or right mirror adjust is centered. Then the square button will illuminate the orange light outline of the mirror. Hold the right side of that square button down to fold in, then the left side to fold out.

Nvm, already been answered lol.

Thanks for the tips, they work like champs. :) Power folding, anyway. Still want to address the super-slow heating on the driver's side.

Richard

Mine sort of does that.... it doesn't heat as fast as the passenger side. Not sure the reason but I wonder if the heating grid inside wears out over time... remember its 10 years old! Mine isn't to the point that I need to replace yet....

That's the thing though; it's not 10 years old. It's already a replacement glass - the GenTex brand as indicated by the part # printed at the bottom in tiny letters. I'm thinking either it's going bad or the brand just sucks.

Richard

• 1 year later...

They're on ebay, just gotta be careful you follow the wording carefully to get the right one considering all the different options.

Probably on Rockauto and other places too for the possibility of a more reliable source. It's been so long since I looked I can't honestly remember.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)