Need help with LED Front Turn Signal Lamps

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had same problem ordering a pair of switchback leds. Did the same thing Someotherguy mentioned and bought a new flasher relay off Amazon. Also added the DRL w/ low beam mod and have never been happier!

Put switch backs in my truck with a new flasher. At night the left turn signal light on the dash stays on along with the battery light and some lights on the turn signal in the mirror. When the left turn signal is on it does the switch back deal but the right turn signal flashes too but without the switch back. I'm gonna put the stock flasher in and wire in the resistors.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I should mention if the headlights or if I turn the parking lights on everything flashes as it should but still have lights on on the dash. It's always something.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When you've got that many LED's you're going to have some challenges making them work right. I've noticed these newer generation trucks are a lot more picky about it, too. Since converting my SS to all LED's externally, my turn signal indicators stay on dim, and so do my turn signals in the mirrors. Any slight voltage drop like running the power windows and the ones in the mirrors go out for a moment.

Making switchbacks work right can be a real pain. I found on my old '94 that a modified flasher was fine for solving hyperflash, but once I installed the switchbacks, I had to wire the resistors back in to make them operate correctly. I still haven't made switchbacks work right on the SS, but it seems to be because the system voltage is too high (low 15's) and freaking them out. I've got some regulators but haven't made the time to try them out yet.

Richard

I have no issues with my switchbacks, I do run dual switchbacks (swapped the DRL) but I also have the dim arrows on dash and mirrors. But the mirrors don't bother me because they act like running lights, and I am using the lm487

I've found out that you need the highest powered LEDs you can fit for each socket/housing, if you have any low powered ones you will have issues

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by darienms1986 (see edit history)

I've dual'ed my sockets too, and was running some stupid bright switchbacks from DDM - http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/3157-33x5630-Dual-W-A

For the taillights I've kept OEM sockets and running LED bub replacements back there, also high power - the 80W pieces from Autolumination. The corner bulbs have been swapped to LED's also.

When the truck isn't running, they work fine, at the regular 12V battery voltage. Once it's running, they work at first, but eventually the white running light function starts to flicker and then eventually goes out. Running voltage is in the low 15's which I feel is too high, but after reading a lot of forums it seems somewhat normal for GMT800 trucks. I honestly expect it to be closer to right at 14V.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I just installed switchback turn signals in the front, as well as the resistors. They work but hyperslash. Should I just cut the pin on the relay to fix? I was sort of under the impression that they should work completely with just the resistors installed. When I put my hazards on they work perfect. Only when turning on a turn signal do they hyperflash.

Here is a vid, pretty sure you can see it, i made it public.

https://www.facebook.com/Slick.NickWS6/posts/10156836864250422?notif_t=like&notif_id=1460676740517357

Edited by 02ws666 (see edit history)

You could cut the pin or buy lm487 flasher. My guess would be that you don't have enough resistance. Reason I say that is because if you don't install resistors at all the 4way isn't effected and flashes normal speed like your video. At least it wasn't on my Malibu.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! Just bought some of the Zevo brand "super bright" leds from auto zone last night and ran into this issue. I came across the LM 487 module with a quick Google search, but this is better seeing someone actually say it works. They have them at autozone too btw. In case anyone was wondering, those zevo bulbs are VERY bright. Make sure to use the 3157R (they light up red.) Thanks again for the confirmation

Hey, I just saw those Zevo's today at the parts house - and that they're made by (or at least packaged by) Sylvania and have a lifetime warranty! That's better than anybody else on the market, at least that I've seen. The only catch will be if/when they crap out, whether they'll have replacements available, vs. just some kind of refund.

I keep having failures with LED's no matter where they come from. I've bought from V-LED's (probably the best I've owned so far though), DDM Tuning, Autolumination, SuperbrightLEDs (they were pretty decent too but don't offer anything as bright as Autolumination and DDM), and some of the junky parts house stuff like Pilot. I've spent more money on LED's than I care to even think about and in the end a really disappointing amount of them crap out...

The Zevo's you got, did you get the ones with the weird splayed-blade looking heat sink arrangement, or the ones that look like R2D2 heads?

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Don't understand why someone would get rid of the lights when the fix is so simple. About $35 on Amazon and this is the correct one for our trucks:

312bpGOzwqL._SY355_.jpg

In the older truck days of GMT400's (88-98 body style) there's a very easy hack that costs nothing to modify the original flasher, but it's a different part and I don't know if it applies to the ones used in GMT800's. The timer IC on the circuit board has one pin you can cut loose and it kills the "bulb out warning" function, or in other words, hyperflash. Done it numerous times. The flasher used in the 800's probably has the same timer chip, just didn't take the time to pop the cover to investigate.

Richard

Purchased this same relay recently on Amazon. Works great..Just wish they would make these damn relays a little quieter..

Purchased this same relay recently on Amazon. Works great..Just wish they would make these damn relays a little quieter..

That's the one you guys need! I have an extra one, barely used with 3 of the super bright osram led bulbs that I'll sell for the brake lights if anyone is looking for a cheaper solution.