Ordered my supercharger!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will have to forgive me if I am getting a bit cynical about performance claims. Been doing too much research on this supercharger thing. I had noticed Lingenfelter's claims before and am automatically suspicious of the round numbers quoted (round numbers mean it has been rounded up :rolleyes: ). 500 hp and 550 hp. Also note the 500 hp claim is for an H2 which has a lower compression 6.0L engine than our SS and therefore more room to boost power via supercharging. Still, the 500 hp claim is not unreasonable, being a 45% increase. I am expecting more like a 40% increase, but we will see.

You will have to forgive me if I am getting a bit cynical about performance claims. Been doing too much research on this supercharger thing. I had noticed Lingenfelter's claims before and am automatically suspicious of the round numbers quoted (round numbers mean it has been rounded up :rolleyes: ). 500 hp and 550 hp. Also note the 500 hp claim is for an H2 which has a lower compression 6.0L engine than our SS and therefore more room to boost power via supercharging. Still, the 500 hp claim is not unreasonable, being a 45% increase. I am expecting more like a 40% increase, but we will see.

40% HP Increase = 138 Horses+345 Horses=483 Total Horses, man, Dave, you're putting an extra set of MULE Teams under the hood--------vrooooooooooooom :jester: And a lot of torque to boot :cheers:

ok, i know this has been spoke of, but how will the SS w/ a SC compete w/ a L.

sorry if im opening a can of worms :D

LOL - Can of worms can only begin to describe that discussion :eek: Depending on who you talk to, the supercharger on the SS should put it in a position to beat some stock Lightnings. There seems to be alot of variance on reported "stock" times for the Lightning, but the range seems to be from the very low 14's to the mid 13's. Others love to point out that with a couple of paper clips and some chewing gum, a Lightning can be make to run in the 12's. :jester:

The Lightnings are way ahead of us in the mod game, since they have a better platform to start modding from and have been at if for many years. But I say, for just adding the supercharger, running high 13's isn't bad and I will probably leave mine at that.

A stock SS will not run with a Lightning.

Personally I don't think a SS with a blower will either, I have personally seen a showroom L2 run a 13.4, all of the L2's arouns run ar least a 13.7 or so showroom stock.

Now way in hell the SS will touch a L2 in a mod war, the platform just won't support it in my opinion.

Hell fact of the matter is a stock Silverado with a 5.3 is a better platform for performance, I know of stock 5.3 regular cabs running 14.9-15.2.

We have a 2000 5.3 truck running 13 flat with a whipple at 10 lbs and exhaust, no headers and no other mods.

RF

ratfink is right on both accounts, the ss with just a supercharger even with the radix which i feel is the best choice isn't likely going to take any stock l2 models, especially the 02' and up. the part about the 5.3 regular cab is what i also agreed with. it's not the power the ss will be lacking, it's the extra weight and awd that kills it. over all though, the radix will make it a much better driver all around as well as keep fuel milage around the same. obviously the guy's buying the ss don't buy them to beat the lightning, but just like when the srt comes out, it's the way it works. it's not ford and dodge's fault chevy hasn't stepped up to the plate with a high performance version of the ss. this isn't knocking the family ss as it is a nice truck, just needs a diet....

Others love to point out that with a couple of paper clips and some chewing gum, a Lightning can be make to run in the 12's. :jester:

:lol: !!! Sorry, that just struck me as funny. To each his own when it comes to buying a vehicle that suits their needs.

Oh yea,...How many pages do you think this post will be now?

A stock SS will not run with a Lightning.

Very true. We know the stock SS does a 15.2 quarter mile time and the 02-03 Lightnings are in the mid to high 13's. No contest there.

Personally I don't think a SS with a blower will either, I have personally seen a showroom L2 run a 13.4, all of the L2's around run are least a 13.7 or so showroom stock.

The NLOC posts their 1/4 mile times and stock 02-03 Lightnings have a rather wide range in times from 13.749 to 13.273*. And what you have seen matches what they report. However, I am predicting that just the supercharger on the SS will take it to 13.7.

Using the ol ET calculator, 5300 lbs and 290 rwhp = 15.33 ET and that is what I was able to run in the real world.

5400 lbs (adding blower weight) and 406 rwhp (290 * 1.4) = 13.79 This is nipping the heels of the slowest stock Lightning listed. Leave my spare tire behind and cut back on the snacks, I am sure I can beat the 13.749 number. Also, keep in mind my quarter mile time of 15.33 is the slowest time reported here. Others have done a tenth or two better stock. I think the 40 increase with the blower is a realistic number.

Now way in hell the SS will touch a L2 in a mod war, the platform just won't support it in my opinion.

True. The Lightning has a well worked out program of modifications and stronger parts to handle pushing the mods. I think the SS will take internal beefing up to go much beyond a blower kit.

Hell fact of the matter is a stock Silverado with a 5.3 is a better platform for performance, I know of stock 5.3 regular cabs running 14.9-15.2.

We have a 2000 5.3 truck running 13 flat with a whipple at 10 lbs and exhaust, no headers and no other mods.

As you know, a Regular Cab is lighter truck and it takes less power to make it go fast. And the 5.3 has a lower compression ratio, so you have more room for boost.

* NLOC times for 02-03 Lightnings and their modifications:

(apologies to any Lightning owners if I goofed in translating the mod list codes)

This list shows what impressive times can be had with fairly easy external mods to the Lightning. The list goes quicker, by the way. I started at 12.5 and went up. The fastest Lightning on the list is 10.48 @ 131.80 (01, Red) :eek:

12.533 @ 108.25 (02, Black) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley6,ThrottleBody,ShiftKit,Suspension,DragTire

12.578 @ 109.18 (02, TBlue) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley,ThrottleBody,WaterPump/ElectricFan,DragTire,Suspension,Muffler/CatBack,Headers,ShiftKit,Converter

12.660 @ 108.20 (02,TBlue) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley

12.695 @ 107.22 (02, Black) Chip,Filter,DragTire,LowerPulley

12.750 @ 108.00 (02 RED) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley4,ThrottleBody,WaterPump/ElectricFan,DragTire,Suspension,Muffler/CatBack,ShiftKit

12.782 @ 107.83 (02, Tblue)Chip,Filter,LowerPulley,RaceFuel

12.829 @ 103.90 (02, TBlue) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley,ShiftKit,DragTire

12.850 @ 107.30 (02, TBlue) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley,DragTire,Headers

12.930 @ 104.91 (02,Tblue) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley4,Suspension

13.013 @ 104.14 (02, Silver) Chip,Filter,LowerPulley4,Throttle Body,Waterpump/electricFan,Converter,Race Fuel

13.027 @ 106.43 (02, Black) Chip,Filter,Lower pulley,Muffler/Catback,Shift Kit

13.055 @ 108.09 (02 Silver) Chip,Filter,Lower pulley

13.070 @ 104.78 (02,Tblue) LowerPulley6,WaterPump/ElectricFan

13.273 @ 103.21 (02, Red)

13.334 @ 102.54 (02, Black) Filter,Muffler/Catback

13.382 @ 102.48 (02, Silver)

13.387 @ 103.19 (02,Tblue)

13.435 @ 101.75 (02, Black)

13.445 @ 103.92 (02,Black) DragTire

13.559 @ 101.8 (02,Silver) Chip,Filter

13.727 @ 100.28 (03,SonicBlue)

13.749 @ 102.27 (02,blue ) Muffler/Catback

another question, now it was posted earlier that a SS w/ a S/C would put out around 483hp....now the L's come with 385hp stock right, are you guys saying w/ some mods the L will put out the same if not more hp...or are you saying the SS cant touch the L cause of weight?....is that confusing :crazy:

Jesse

I think you are confusing Flywheel HP ratings and Wheel HP ratings. The power that matters is what can get to the wheels. In simple terms, Flywheel HP - Drivetrain loss = Wheel HP. Drivetrain losses are higher for our AWD systems than for a RWD.

SS Flywheel HP = 345

SS Wheel HP = 290 (approximate since we do not have a dyno run yet, but is derived from actual weight and actual quarter mile time)

If we gain 40% from the supercharger, then:

SS Supercharged Flywheel HP = 483

SS Supercharged Wheel HP = 406

Weight does make a bit difference. Try playing with this link and varying the weight for a given HP and see what a dramatic affect a few hundred pounds can make.

PreStage.com

So the SS will always be at a disadvantage because of weight. That is why it is more fair to compare it to the F-150 Harley Davidson. But even then the HD is a crew cab, and at a slight weight disadvantage to the SS. The HD's blower more than makes up for it though :D

That is why it is more fair to compare it to the F-150 Harley Davidson.  But even then the HD is a crew cab, and at a slight weight disadvantage to the SS.  The HD's blower more than makes up for it though :D

Dcairns:

There are several weight listing for the Harley, but I believe the stock Harley weighs LESS than the stock SS. I could be wrong here but I have seen under Harley specs. from Ford that it weighs less than the SS :crazy:

Archived