First runs on the new truck

levilz

Nothing earth shattering, but not bad for a near stock brick with 3/4 tank of gas and stuff in the bed, lol.

I rode up to Pittsburgh Raceway Park to a track rental yesterday with my buddy, who was running his Lightning. I didn't have any intentions on running myself, but that never ends up working out when I go to these things. The guy that rode with me must have caught a glimpse of my sad face watching in the pits, and said if I wanted to race, he'd cover the entry. Can't pass that up, so I hot-lapped the rest of the afternoon (ended up with 20 passes). I managed to pull off a 14.93 at 90.85mph. I'd never run this truck before, but my old SSS was running 14.6x - 14.7, and I knew this one is a tad slower... so I was right where I guessed it would be when I said I'd be happy with a 14.99 or better. The only mods are a CAI, a Granatelli MAF and a catback. The only other thing that was really in the same class was a 2011 Ram with an intake and exhaust and I got him by about 3/10. I won a few others and lost quite a few. I lined up with an Alpha built GTR and don't think I've ever been walked away from so hard, lmao.

Nobody in our group broke anything, we both got the numbers we were looking to get, and between the two of us, we got about 40 passes in, so I consider it a pretty good day.

Yeah, any time we get to go out it's a good time. My 05 was definitely a quicker truck, but I had played with the tune a little and it didn't have the heavy frickin' tonneau out back. I'd say if I did nothing other than get a good tune on this one and catch another day with really good air (Track elevation is 1100 and DA was only 750ft.), It would be right in the same ballpark though. I'm elbow deep in the middle of a turbo build for the Trans Am at the moment, but as soon as I get that out of the way, I'll start thinking about cutting a second or two off on the truck. I'd like to at least be able to at least give his Lightning a good run, but that's going to take some work. He left his street tires on with regular air pressure and was running 13 flat all day.

Yeah as long as nobody breaks its always a good time at the track. A turbo build on your T/A huh???? That sounds like a fun project. I wanted to get a base time on my truck this year, I was rolling to the track and my buddy talked me into riding with him that day. He has a trailered 69 camaro that runs high 10's, it was supposed to be busy at the track day. I bet that I could have made 15 passes , lets just say he will never ask me to ride with him to the track again. Any ways I will try and get a baseline early next year, I am building up a parts pile to make the heavy girl just a bit quicker.

Cant beat a day like that. Sounds like Your truck runs Healthy. Usually stock is around 15.1, so you would definitely feel good about that. With a tune you should definitely be around 14.6ish with all things being equal of track conditions when you ran the 14.93.

That's a good lookin truck you have!

14.9's not such a bad time. Before I went crazy on mine a couple of years ago I ran a 14.2 with headers, exhaust, stall and CAI, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to shave that down a second or two.

I'd like to run the Lightning :)

Watching you two line up would be a lot more entertaining than the two of us, lmao. Our runs were about the same every time. I'd get the jump, then about a second later, I would start hearing the whine, then another second later he would shoot past me. My guess is if he would have just aired down his tires, he would have had a 12.7-12.8, because he was pulling the the 13.0-13.1 with like a 2.4 60ft.

That's a good lookin truck you have!

14.9's not such a bad time. Before I went crazy on mine a couple of years ago I ran a 14.2 with headers, exhaust, stall and CAI, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to shave that down a second or two.

Thanks. I was happy considering. I'm guessing if I would have just prepared to race (had 1/4 tank of gas instead of between 3/4 and full, taken the tonneau off and taken the tools and crap out of the bed), I could have had a 14.7x. If I can shave a couple seconds off that, it should make things interesting.