2006 Silverado Intimidator SS resurrection

someotherguy

That would be for dismount/mount of all 8 including balancing. It sounds like a lot but when you break it down per tire it's $25 per. This shop is the only one I have ever seen use the plastic ring that goes all the way around the lip of the wheel, instead of using just the little plastic attachments on the tire machine itself (that always seem to fall off.)

A while back I took a brand new set of wheels for my old truck to NTB and straight out of the box the guy went to lay it face-first into the bare metal claws of the rim clamp machine. I almost dropped the wheel I had in my hand running over to stop him...in my calmest tone possible I had a discussion with him about not destroying my wheels by changing his approach and he looked at me like I was from fuggin Mars. We got it done but I'll never go back there again.

Richard

Yea, down here we charge $20 per wheel. The machine we use has a plastic head to remove the tire, but when you put the air lock on, it actually raises up maybe a centimeter or two, trying to avoid touching the wheel, but tough tires it'll all touch, not damage/scratch though. Good thing you don't have tpms we charge extra to swap over... Then if they just keep throwing extra weight on to balance it out, naaambe! I'm still waiting for a posting all about that silver birch of yours though!! :D

Edited by TxSilverado361 (see edit history)

Any problems with your valve stems leaking, got new tires on mine and one rim was leaking. Took it back and they couldn't seal it Checked this faithful

sight, and using Bead Sealer worked great. Tire shop never heard of that method.

• 3 months later...

Dunno why I never saw your reply about the valve stems leaking but honestly I've never had that problem. Have had chrome wheels in the past that would leak around the bead due to minor corrosion and tire shop did use that black goop bead sealant, worked fine.

So a year ago (literally to the day) I had both SS's at the muffler shop swapping out the systems between the trucks because the silver birch SS had a Magnaflow muffler installed on the otherwise stock setup, since my wife was going to drive it we put the stock muffler setup on it and the Magnaflow on mine.

Fast forward a year to today, didn't care much personally for the Magnaflow so I took time out to install the Corsa cat-back that I got in trade from forum member Alex (Distracted) -

New old stock still in the Corsa/GM boxes:

06SS_077s.jpg

Old system out with just one chop from the Sawz-all:

06SS_078s.jpg

New system in place, fit was pretty good other than the part for the middle hanger was really way off, seems to be holding up fine though:

06SS_079s.jpg

I don't see a way to embed a youtube video here of the first fire-up, so here's the link:

https://youtu.be/K1fLH35V40A

Richard

I like it - it's quieter than I thought it would be, but I did expect it to be pretty quiet with that large muffler. It's got a rumble in gear at idle that you feel inside the truck more than hear it, which I didn't expect. You'd almost think it was a pipe against the frame or something but it's all properly suspended.

Overall I'm glad I did it as it's made the truck a lot nicer to run around in. I just switched jobs so I have a lot longer drive to/from picking up my work truck so listening to the radio/talking on the phone should be a lot easier without that Magnaflow droning. I'll probably find myself missing the loudness of that old muffler a little bit, but not a lot. ;)

Richard

and now swapped to some Centerline Stingray 22's and Nitto 421Q in 285/45/22 - tires are basically new, wheels are used but in really sweet shape. craigslist special

06SS_075s.jpg

06SS_076s.jpg

Richard

wow this is a good looking truck!! Any slightly lowering it? Just a very small drop would be huge! Either way, I love your truck, man

BTW...I think I recognize you from FSC back when that forum was the place to be.

Thanks, yeah I had the NORCALSS 3/4 drop kit sitting in my garage for like a year but could never get the time together to install it. Then I got those Centerlines and due to their backspacing I don't think I can do very much drop, so I traded the kit. I would like to bring it down a few inches but that'll be off sometime in the future, maybe once I wear these tires out and drop a size to get some extra clearance. Maybe look into that coilover conversion, too.

I bailed on FSC years ago because a couple of the admin staff showed themselves to be toads. You either care about your forum or you don't, and those guys don't.. but in general my attention on GMT400-centric forums is dropping off anyway since I don't mess with those trucks anymore. Sold the last one, my black extended cab, like 2 years ago, right after the LS1-swapped Suburban, etc. all gone.

Richard

Thanks, yeah I had the NORCALSS 3/4 drop kit sitting in my garage for like a year but could never get the time together to install it. Then I got those Centerlines and due to their backspacing I don't think I can do very much drop, so I traded the kit. I would like to bring it down a few inches but that'll be off sometime in the future, maybe once I wear these tires out and drop a size to get some extra clearance. Maybe look into that coilover conversion, too.

I bailed on FSC years ago because a couple of the admin staff showed themselves to be toads. You either care about your forum or you don't, and those guys don't.. but in general my attention on GMT400-centric forums is dropping off anyway since I don't mess with those trucks anymore. Sold the last one, my black extended cab, like 2 years ago, right after the LS1-swapped Suburban, etc. all gone.

Richard

I'm looking at going to coilovers somewhere down the line myself. Either way, she's beautiful as-is :thumbsup:

And 100% agree with FSC. Not been a regular in a LONG time for the same reasons. Glad to see ya on here. I've always been a fan of the trucks you've had.

• 1 year later...

Not any big development but my VIPMOTOZ LED 3rd brake light started getting rainwater into it.  It's been on the truck about 1.5 years, parked outside, and it rains here quite a bit.  I guess I'm not really surprised or overly disappointed but I did write them an email explaining what's going on.  No expectations that they'll do anything for me.  I took it off and shook the water out and have it sitting in the house hoping it will finish drying out so I can attempt to seal around the edges with some silicone.

On the upside I can say that for an aftermarket lens it has held up fine otherwise.  No fading, clearcoat peeling, crackling, or anything of the plastic lens.  Still pretty much looks new on the outside.

06SS_111s.jpg

06SS_112s.jpg

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

A week later and no response from vipmotoz and I can't get the rest of the moisture to dry out. I went ahead and ordered an OEM lens.

I know the led unit is plainly advertised as 60 day warranty but you'd hope it would at least last a couple years. Don't think I'll be doing anymore business with vipmotoz if I can help it...pretty much everything that came from them didn't last worth a damn.

Richard

yes!  vipMOTOZ LED 3RD brake light sux I'm having the same issue with the moisture with my LED 3rd brake light I ordered from them. I put sealant on it and it still did not keep the moisture out.  

Edited by houston05tx (see edit history)

On 1/31/2019 at 6:42 AM, houston05tx said:

yes!  vipMOTOZ LED 3RD brake light sux I'm having the same issue with the moisture with my LED 3rd brake light I ordered from them. I put sealant on it and it still did not keep the moisture out.  

Yeah I wonder where it's actually getting in.  When I shook the water out it seemed like it was coming out of the edges between the lens and the black housing but who knows?  It took forever sitting inside the house before all signs of moisture finally disappeared.  Since then I've installed an OEM lens/housing with LED bulbs.

I went with some 921 LED replacements off eBay from "Alla Lighting", the style where the brake lights strobe a few times before going solid.  They fit the OEM housing pretty good with a tiny gap before the end of the bulb hits the plastic.  The cargo lights are listed as 904's (it's still the same base and basic size/shape) and fit fine, too, and they're stupid bright.

One thing I did notice since this OEM assembly has been on the truck a few days is the gasket still lets a little rainwater in, and the 3rd brake light bulbs sit right where it can drip down into their sockets.  Since these LED's won't get nearly as hot as regular bulbs, I trimmed up a piece of clear plastic to go over the holes above the bulbs and taped it down with some foil duct tape.  100% can't see it at all and it doesn't interfere with the light from the bulbs, but won't let rainwater drip down onto them.

I left my 6ohm / 50W load resistor tapped in to be sure my cruise control kept working, as that had been a problem when I first installed the VIPMOTOZ LED 3rd brake assembly.  Dunno if I need it but since there does seem to be an issue putting LED's in as the 3rd brake light on these trucks, I left it in there.

06SS_113s.jpg

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)