100K tune up (spark plugs, ignition wire, and distributor cap and roto

SSWhitechapel

My 2003 SS is about to hit 100K miles in the next 800 miles or so and I was told that's the time I should do a tune up. I would like to know exactly what I need and any part numbers I should look up before purchasing. This will be my first tune up so if possible I would also like to know if there's a guide out there. Thank you.

You'll have a pretty tough time finding the distributor cap and rotor lol.

I would do spark plugs, plug wires, air filter and the fuel filter. Maybe run a can or two of fuel system cleaner if you don't regularly do that.

Might also be a good time to change out fluids as well if they haven't been done recently. Front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluid.

You'll have a pretty tough time finding the distributor cap and rotor lol.

I would do spark plugs, plug wires, air filter and the fuel filter. Maybe run a can or two of fuel system cleaner if you don't regularly do that.

Might also be a good time to change out fluids as well if they haven't been done recently. Front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluid.

Why is it tough?

I did the air filter, front and rear diff.

Do you have any suggestions or part numbers for the spark plugs, plug wires and fuel filter?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Sorry man, I don't have part numbers, but if you want oem stuff I would just go to the dealer. I personally would call Maryland speed or summit and get some performance plug wires and get a set of plugs with them. I would get a fuel filter from autozone, advance, oreilley's or whoever you have close to you.

What everyone else said. Just stay AC Delco/GM where you can.

I would replace the fuel filter, both serp belts, upper O2 sensors, have the front end alignment checked, & replace the AC air cabin filter (if your 2003 has one).

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

I went with all OEM stuff when I changed out plugs/wires. Note, bring your truck to the dealer to verify which plug wires you need. There are two sets with different lengths and its depends on what coil packs are installed on your truck. Year or vin doesn't matter, you actually have to look at and verify the coil pack. Ask me how I know...

I figured if the original stuff lasted 100k miles, why mess with what is proven. Also agree with replacing all fluids and filters. Truck should be ready for another 100k.

Also, as mentioned above. If belts/tensioner are original, might want to inspect/replace those while your under the hood.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

Don't forget to change your coolant.... Hopefully it was done at 5yr cause it's rated for 5yr/100k. If you want AC Delco at a fair price go to Rock Auto the have good prices and they ship to your door. I have been using them for last few years, I only buy factory parts from them and have been happy. FYI AC Delco has a mail in rebate on plugs until the end of the year I think....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to change your coolant.... Hopefully it was done at 5yr cause it's rated for 5yr/100k. If you want AC Delco at a fair price go to Rock Auto the have good prices and they ship to your door. I have been using them for last few years, I only buy factory parts from them and have been happy. FYI AC Delco has a mail in rebate on plugs until the end of the year I think....

Not all AC Delco is created equal. They have several different lines of parts ranging from crap to OEM

• 1 month later...