Heated seat comes on by itself

fjorlandi

If I turn the truck on and use the passenger side first that seat works fine. Once I hit my driver seat it kills both. So at least that way I can single out to just my driver side element is blown.

The seat circuit resets with the ignition. And the use of a bad element kills the whole circuit. So as long as I don't touch my driver side the passenger side works fine.

When the gf is riding, enjoying the heated seat & decides to put her feet on the dash or give me tude, I hit my heat to kill power to hers hahab

Did you measure the resistance with someone sitting in the seat?

Good idea I didn't think of that the other day. I will recruit the wife to assist and see if that shows my open.

Does the switch light up like its on when this happens? Or does the seat just warm up on its own? I know the elements are wired up to trip the breaker(like bassmasters description) if there is even a slight variance in voltage. I would suspect a bad switch, if the elements are functioning. or maybe even the brain box under the drivers seat. Do you have another switch you could swap out to try it?

Does the switch light up like its on when this happens? Or does the seat just warm up on its own? I know the elements are wired up to trip the breaker(like bassmasters description) if there is even a slight variance in voltage. I would suspect a bad switch, if the elements are functioning. or maybe even the brain box under the drivers seat. Do you have another switch you could swap out to try it?

On mine as soon as you start truck the back seat heater turns on high. If you turn off and then try to turn back only on nothing happens. If you turn both back and bottom on the seat turns on. I scanned with my Tech 2 and I didn't have any seat module codes so I highly doubt is the seat or door module. Of the 10,000 posts on different forums lots of people replace the switch thinking it's the problem and waste 150 bucks with no fix. I do not have a spare switch but I think the likelihood of bad switch is super low. I saw a post somewhere where guy said one part of seat was not as hot as other. I remember mine doing this and thought that it was funny. I use seat heater so infrequently especially here in the south that I don't remember which one (back or bottom) it was. I have a few spare vehicles so I'll just yank the seat out and take it apart to see what I have going on.

If I turn the truck on and use the passenger side first that seat works fine. Once I hit my driver seat it kills both. So at least that way I can single out to just my driver side element is blown.

The seat circuit resets with the ignition. And the use of a bad element kills the whole circuit. So as long as I don't touch my driver side the passenger side works fine.

When the gf is riding, enjoying the heated seat & decides to put her feet on the dash or give me tude, I hit my heat to kill power to hers hahab

I do that tooooooo!!! hahahahahaha

• 5 months later...

Update... I left the heater unplugged all summer. Was 30 degrees this morning so I plugged it back in and it worked perfect. At this point I hope I haven't jinxed myself but I wonder if it was due to the summer heat... it was like a 1000 degrees in the summer when it acted up. I did a little looking through my service manual I recently acquired and it has a trouble tree for the seat heater. If it gives be trouble I'll dig into it again....

• 5 years later...

My 03 SS just started the auto on seat heater about 2 months ago. Now the outside temps ranging from 70's tp mid 90's and this is so annoying and uncomfortable. I am glad I found this site and I will start by disconnecting the wiring under the seat for now. Later I will pull the heaters out and check for shorts. THANKS to all who made contributions to this forum. Wish me LUCK! My but can't stand getting cooked!! 🥵

Also I want to find out if others in the SS club have spare parts for sale??? I need a drivers door lower trim panel. I want to keep this truck going since I have dumped a ton of money in it!! 

P1630094.JPG