Heated seat comes on by itself

fjorlandi

This seems like an odd problem. My driver side heated seat in my 04 SS was coming on all by itself. Didn't do any trouble shooting, just replaced the door switch with a new one. Didn't help. Still have the exact problem. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes doesn't happen for weeks, then it starts happening again. It will shut off if I push the button to shut it off, but it might still come back on right away. Electrical problems baffle me. Tired of dropping a boat load of money at the dealership. I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Mine does this and has done this sine I got the truck. It only does it when it's wet out and the truck has been left outside. I figure it's something to do with the humidity. Don't know of any solutions. Just a quirk of the truck.

Mine is doing the same thing except mine is doing it more often than not lately. Every time I turn it off, it just turns itself right back on. And man when it's hot outside, the heated seat is really not something I want to have on when I'm driving and it's 80 or 90 degrees outside. Not sure what the issue is with this, but I'm wondering what is making it turn on by itself.

My guess is the heater element itself in the seat is burned and causing the short. If u search heated seats there's pics and a lot of guys here whom have had this issue and that was the culprit. I had the same issue and pulled my covers off and sure enough burned elements. Good luck fellas

My guess is the heater element itself in the seat is burned and causing the short. If u search heated seats there's pics and a lot of guys here whom have had this issue and that was the culprit. I had the same issue and pulled my covers off and sure enough burned elements. Good luck fellas

Thats what happend on mine.

Thats what happend on mine.

I don't understand how a short in the seat bottom would cause it to turn on by itself. I can see when you turn switch on and nothing happens or it gets SUPER hot or system turns on and off yes that most likely is a short in the seat element. I saw lots of those.... the fact it turns on by itself is a different issue... but I could be wrong... it happened once... lol.

Yea mine would cut on by itself and I wouldn't realize till it was cooking my butt and for the longest time I though I was just hitting it when rolling the windows down but then kept hearing the relay click and looked down and it was cutting on and off numerous times so I used the search button and sure enough led me to the elements where I found they were fried right where the wiring goes into the element itself. Real simple fix, I got my elements from work and wired them in and hasn't done it since.

• 9 months later...

Yea mine would cut on by itself and I wouldn't realize till it was cooking my butt and for the longest time I though I was just hitting it when rolling the windows down but then kept hearing the relay click and looked down and it was cutting on and off numerous times so I used the search button and sure enough led me to the elements where I found they were fried right where the wiring goes into the element itself. Real simple fix, I got my elements from work and wired them in and hasn't done it since.

Mine just started doing this today. I haven't driven truck in two weeks and now it's acting funny. When you replaced seat element did you check for codes?

Ok, Update. I played around with it and got my volt meter out. I checked resistance in the seat heater on the diver vs. passenger sides. The driver side show 3.5oms vs. 5.0 for passenger side. I was expecting to find an open but did not. It is spotty online finding info on the heaters. There are 10,000 posts about peoples not working but nobody about actually fixing them or how to properly diagnosis it. I did find something online that says spec is 1.5-5oms but I am not sure I believe it, so I am "technically" within spec. Temporally I have just unplugged the driver side but I think my next step is remove the seat and take it all apart to see which one is bad. I may just replace both for good measure. I am about 95% sure it is one of the elements but would like to confirm. If anyone has info to help me diag this I would greatly appreciate!

post-26852-0-95760800-1465915892_thumb.jpg