e-Fan Harness Tip

NipRing

So i did the fan swap in April. I bought brand new Dorman fan setup on Amazon. I bought the harness from LS1Trucks.com and it went together rather flawlessly. However, i kept blowing fuses. I upped the 30a to 40a but id eventually blow those too. Then i started to notice the fuse holders themselves were melting. Even the relay base plugs were melting. I contacted LS1Trucks.com, but they didn't really offer too much help. I thought it was the fans. I had read some bad reviews but plenty of good ones too. But the bad talked about how much the fans drew and blew fuses. So, i actually got my money back from Amazon and then bought the GM efans. But the harness was in rough shape. So i contacted LS Performance Wiring on Facebook and bought his harness. Beautiful product, superior workmanship. 6 weeks after install i noticed a relay base starting to melt...WTF?? I did some reading, a lot of reading. Turns out one of the most common reasons for this issue...is putting the ground ON TOP of the black bracket that bolts to the alternator bracket, instead of under it :idiot: Don't be an idiot like me. I wasted over $100 on that first harness :cry:

Also, temp setting are hugely important. Set them too low and the fans will never shut off.

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Ground needs to go to the front frame horn where the front vehicle harness is grounded.

That's where I plan on grounding mine on my 04.

Any idea how long it took to swap out the fans and radiator? I need to complete this myself but I'm always on a time crunch and don't want to not give myself enough time.

That's where I plan on grounding mine on my 04.

Any idea how long it took to swap out the fans and radiator? I need to complete this myself but I'm always on a time crunch and don't want to not give myself enough time.

about 2 hours with proper tools and if you have never done it before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Black bear stopped selling them. I believe he was getting them from LS1 fan guy but not 100% sure.

PCM on NC has a really nice one all though it's a little more expensive. I installed one on a friends truck. If I recall it already had the large 40 amp fuse. The holder is actually different between a 30 amp and a 40 amp. I believe the wiring is larger for a 40 amp.

3001903-500x500.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...