Hard to get at Grease Zerks...

SuperDave

I recently took over duties of greasing my one owner (me) 2003 all wheel drive Silverado SS. It's my baby, bought it brand new and plan to keep it till it's an antique. Only 55,000 miles on it at 12 years old so it's doing pretty good still.

There is one grease zerk that is a mutha to get a grease gun on... I believe it's the idler.... any clues or hints on how to get to it? Like turn the wheels to the right and stand on your head... or something like that? Will pulling off the front diff skid plate aide in reaching the zerk ? Also how many zerks are on this beast? Someone said once 11 or so... can someone confirm this? Thanks for the tips in advance...

The zerk's on top of the Pittman arm and the idler arm are close to impossible to reach as they come from the factory. I took them out and replaced them with 90* zerks. Problem solved.

Relatively simple fix although you pretty much have to remove and replace those zerk fitting by brail method as it is tough to see them at all.

(You are probably on to this already, but I use a rubber hose on the end of my grease gun).

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Would the grease guns made with the hose on them (about 12 inches of length if I remember correctly) not work for the hard to reach areas? We used these in the CNC shop to grease the machines. Some of those can be real fun when you have to climb in the back of the machine and kind of spread your wings. Lol.

The idler to center-link zerk would be impossible to get without a gun with hose id think, iirc turn the wheel to the right so it goes right slightly away from a/c stuff then hoop the hose over and back toward you. Might want to start with this one as i always do it last and by then my hands are greasy of course and its hard to put pressure on the hose end which is needed.

Moog makes an extension for the idler arm its self, goes from it to one of the sway bar clamp bolts so its easy access thru wheel well, i used one when i redid my front end..

http://www.carid.com/images/moog/suspension-parts/k6723.jpg

also pulling the skid plate off makes lots of things 1000x easier ive found out..

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)