Oil Change Advice

diggerdan11

Ok so this is about my HD, but I figured this was still the best section to ask this question.

So its been about 1 year since I changed the oil in my truck. I used Royal Purple Synthetic and a K&N Filter. I have only put 4k miles on my truck since the oil change, and only 1k since November.

Normally i change my oil every 5k miles, and I use to average 10-12k miles a year so I would change my oil about twice a year. I have never had to deal with issue before. The oil still looks very clean with just a tiny bit of dirt, but far from being dark.

I know with regular petroleum based oil can expire an you should change your oil frequently, but what about full synthetic? especially a high end synthetic like Royal Purple?

What do you guys do that don't put many miles on your truck? If you use synthetic do you change it based on a time limit? or do you just wait until you hit 5k miles. If you were in my shoes would you change your oil now, or wait until I hit 5k (which could be another 6 months)?

look at it this way, you think parts stores rotate oil that just sits on the shelf? I wouldn't mess with it if its just sitting in the oil pan not being used. just my .02 cents..

look at it this way, you think parts stores rotate oil that just sits on the shelf? I wouldn't mess with it if its just sitting in the oil pan not being used. just my .02 cents..

Oil that sits on the shelf is sealed. Oxygen is the problem. Oxygen begins to break down the bonds between the oil (the so called "oil break down"). It's up to you man, I personally would consider changing it myself. But its personal preference really.

^^^ This. I would change it once a year even if I only put 1k miles on it. It's not too expensive. Actually, if you catch Pep Boys sale, I pay $35 for 5 qts of the purple and the RP filter....just gotta spend $10 on that extra qt lol.

As it was previously stated, once the seal has been broken, oil starts to break down, regardless of whether or not it is being used due to oxidation, as well as degredation from being used, even if it was just started and run one time. Technically, you would probably be fine leaving the same oil in for 15 to 16 months, but I wouldn't. Agreed on dropping the RP and switching to AMSOIL too.