Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

Lol thanks John. It was good! I wa's in a rush to eat and forgot to take a pic of my plate. I'm on Vaca starting today so hopin to get some smoking in. I got a brisket that I've been eyeing for a while

I'm gonna Cold Smoke some run of the mill bone-in pork chops tomorrow. I'll go a light 2 hrs on smoke and pull. Then grill them up later with some Garlic powder and a side of BBQ sauce. Of course I'll make the grill screaming hot and crisp up the fat rind (yummy. ... lol)

Lol thanks John. It was good! I wa's in a rush to eat and forgot to take a pic of my plate. I'm on Vaca starting today so hopin to get some smoking in. I got a brisket that I've been eyeing for a while

Been there myself with the "too big a hurry to eat to shoot pic's" thing. Congratulations on your vacation. I could use one of those myself.

Best luck with the brisket. I am jonesin to smoke another one too. Is it going on the WSM?

I'm gonna Cold Smoke some run of the mill bone-in pork chops tomorrow. I'll go a light 2 hrs on smoke and pull. Then grill them up later with some Garlic powder and a side of BBQ sauce. Of course I'll make the grill screaming hot and crisp up the fat rind (yummy. ... lol)

Hey Shuan, I figure your probably on top of this but, just want to make sure that you know that you shouldn't let your chops, (Assuming that they aren't cured), sit at a temp between 40* and 140* for 2 hours or more. It can become unsafe and cooking after won't necessarily make it safe.

"The USDA recommends that a food not be eaten if it is at an unsafe temperature (between 40 and 140 degrees) for more than 2 hours".

Hey Shuan, I figure your probably on top of this but, just want to make sure that you know that you shouldn't let your chops, (Assuming that they aren't cured), sit at a temp between 40* and 140* for 2 hours or more. It can become unsafe and cooking after won't necessarily make it safe.

"The USDA recommends that a food not be eaten if it is at an unsafe temperature (between 40 and 140 degrees) for more than 2 hours".

Yeah ... I was thinking that ... my just cook thoroughly in the smoker .... never done before

Yeah ... I was thinking that ... my just cook thoroughly in the smoker .... never done before

Pork is so easy to over cook. If it was me I would cook at about 225* cooker temp indirect, (Not directly over the coals), to an internal temp of 120* to 130*, take them off the grill / smoker, open your draft and vent wide open and let your coals get good and hot, then set your chops directly over the coals and sear them till they hit 145* internal temp.

If you get the sear you like before your internal temp gets to 145* just move them off of direct heat and watch your IT till they hit 145*.

Best luck Brother. Let us know how they turn out.

It's pretty good. I bought it for convenience. Right now I don't have the time to do the full on smoking with the coals and wood.

The pellets smokers are more of a "set it and forget it"!!!

It doesn't give you a thick smoky flavor but there are tricks and tips to make up for that.

At the flip of a switch I can go straight to grilling or also use it as a convection oven!

These grills are pretty cool. I have read reviews and some say there junk or crappy.

I have no issues.

Heck my 5 year old can use it!!!

So far I've done

Burgers

Ribs

Steaks

And the blueberry cobbler

Everything comes out so juicy it's amazing

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: I've been studying the pellet smokers for a while. Lots of guy's have good success with them. That's a good BBQ name you've got on yours.

There are people out there who can't make any given type of smoker work.

I still haven't smoked the cobbler. Maybe this year.

Well I didn't smoke the cobbler.

I can use the smoker as an oven. So rather then heating the house up I just used the treager!!

Yeah I'm hooked on that sauce now. I got it for Father's Day.

I understand. I lived thirteen years in Stuart Florida and my main cooking tool was my Weber kettle on my side porch. (No A/C and really didn't need it).

Finally got around to smoking a brisket and some injected chicken thighs (recipe courtesy of Downeast Johnny). The brisket came out great! Good smoke flavor. The burnt ends woulda been better if I had used a different BBQ sauce. All I had some was sweet baby rays honey and brown sugar, or something like that. It was way to sweet. The chicken was so juicy and the skin crisped up nicely.

20160708_214258_zpskdeopr6c.jpg

Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion and garlic.

20160709_053130_zpsrlpe4zww.jpg

injected with franks wing sauce, butter and creole seasoning

20160709_132649_zpsfqhis71m.jpg

20160709_132653_zps2fuc2hwa.jpg

20160709_180355_zpsbqmwdjeb.jpg

20160709_195506_zpsmiclfjl0.jpg

burnt ends looked great. the ones with less bbq sauce were delicious

20160709_200003_zpspu4jnjlj.jpg

u can see all the juices running while cutting it. still makes my mouth water!

20160709_200718_zps9oqyblah.jpg

20160710_124749_001_zpsbn5jbbmw.jpg

Sandwiches the next day. still juicy and tender.

Sorry for all the pics. I get a little carried away I guess. lol