Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

Figured I'd try something other than talking about our trucks on here and see how it goes... I've been into smoking food for maybe a year and a half now (thanks a lot to Downeast Johnny). I have smoked things such as pork butts, chuck roast, cheese, fatties etc... I finally was able to find some really meaty beef ribs a couple of weeks ago and decided it was time to smoke them. Smoked them this past Sunday using the 3-2-1 method. For those not familiar with this, it is 3 hours straight on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil and the last hour directly on the smoker again. It was a simple rub that I used... Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Well here are some pics of how it turned out. By the way they were fantastic!

20150511_202601_zps9luctrcn.jpg

20150517_112344_zpswwp3kpip.jpgBe liberal with the seasoning. This is a lot of meat and hard to over season.

20150517_150457_zpsvr8wsrud.jpgThis is after the first 3 hours on the smoker. Getting ready for wrapping.

20150517_150534_zpsucwasqw2.jpgI poured a beer in to keep the meat moist before I wrapped em.

20150517_170355_zpsd09y3tib.jpg

Removed from smoker after 2 hours of being wrapped. Then placed on smoker for 1 more hour.

20150517_181930_zpsuheiycwh.jpg

Ribs all cut up.

20150517_181857_zpscykxtbg9.jpg

And money shot. Nice smoke ring and super moist!

20150517_182810_zpseod8jexs.jpg

Plated up. Those are some home made baked beans as well.

20150517_184348_zpspkb7fvrm.jpgFamily approved. Hope you all enjoyed this. and hope to see some more peoples great smokes.

Very Nice

I too am into smoking. I have a Traeger Grill and I cook everything on it. Its great because you can slow cook items like ribs, pulled pork, etc... but you can also turn it up and cook anything you you would in in oven like Cookies, and Pies. I gave away my propane grill once i bought the traeger.

If you like ribs, and like pork. You should smoke some Pork Loin Backs, and make sure they are labeled exactly that. That is the cut that all the "pros" use during competition. They are amazing. I use a similar method where I smoke them for 2 hours then wrap them in foil and cook them for longer. I also use apple juice to spray on the ribs to keep them moist. I also do some other stuff too it, but I dont want to give my secrets away. lol

One of the best things in the world to smoke is Johnsonville Brats

Here are my ribs:

2013-02-03_10-31-03_386_zpsf8b7b928.jpg

2013-02-03_15-25-20_324_zpscf8addcc.jpg

whole chickens are amazing. I use hate eating chicken (unless it was fried) because it always tasted dried out to me. But not on a smoker

IMG_20130415_165059_148_zpsa80041dd.jpg

I also love to smoke Stuffed Bacon Wrapped burgers, but thats only an occasional thing since they are so bad for you.

IMG_20130506_165154_336_zpsb6559212.jpg

IMG_20130506_172027_991_zps51dedb42.jpg

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

Digger that all looks mighty tasty! I will have to keep a look out for those specific ribs. I normally buy st. Louis ribs when I do pork ribs.

I am currently using a weber smokey mountain 22.5 inch. I have no complaints at all. Very easy to control and maintain Temps. I also have a 22 inch weber kettle. I use that to smoke steaks or burgers or if i just want to use charcoal. I still have a gas grill for faster grilling. Sometimes with 5 kids i don't get thr chance to take my time on the charcoal.

Thanks for your post. Again everything looks so good. Gonna have to try those stuffed burgers for sure!

Edited by Blk_SS (see edit history)

Hey Alex. Great thread Brother and your beef ribs look like they turned out great. Ain't it nice that they come with a handle built in?

You'll never get that young-un to leave the house if you keep feeding her like that. :jester:

Great looking ribs and chicken Dan. I wouldn't walk away from the burger either.

Brats & Pineapple

DSC01583_zpsd802678c.jpg

Beef ribs

DSC02317_zps32a22a2a.jpg

A couple fattie's

DSC01511_zpsb5853ba1.jpg

DSC01515_zps9be7ddb4.jpg

Cheese

DSC01412_zpsf22d5b33.jpg

Bring on the pic's men.

I'm down with it ... Been going for about 6 years now ... Don't forget the FTC method ... Foil, Towel, Cooler for holding your food hot, for hours ...

Some past threads ...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/63973-sunday-dinner-who-likes-turkey/?fromsearch=1

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/77640-dinners-served/?fromsearch=1

I have had a smoker for 5 years but don't nearly smoke as much as I want to... I get to smoke something about once a week in the summer and maybe 1-2 times a month in the winter... I have stand up vertical smoker just wide enough for a full size turkey but tall enough to fit almost two lol... I have all the wood chips from apple, cherry, alder, hickory, mesquite etc. but I go through a lot of apple, hickory, and mesquite as I do mostly poultry and beef... I just got done smoking some sucker from the river last weekend and it turned out really good with alder and a hint of cherry... The only thing I do differently with my ribs is after a thick wet smoke I flash grill my ribs for just a couple mins each side to caramelize the BBQ sauce like svens chipotle or a good homemade stuff... Mmmm Mmmmm good... I love to smoke and cook anything from soups to pastas and any type of meat from duck, venison to cow...

Digger that all looks mighty tasty! I will have to keep a look out for those specific ribs. I normally buy st. Louis ribs when I do pork ribs.

I am currently using a weber smokey mountain 22.5 inch. I have no complaints at all. Very easy to control and maintain Temps. I also have a 22 inch weber kettle. I use that to smoke steaks or burgers or if i just want to use charcoal. I still have a gas grill for faster grilling. Sometimes with 5 kids i don't get thr chance to take my time on the charcoal.

Thanks for your post. Again everything looks so good. Gonna have to try those stuffed burgers for sure!

Yeah its all just personall preference. St. Louis Ribs usually have less meat, but more fat which can make them more tender. Loin backs (which are very similar to baby backs) usually have a lot more meat on them and can be made just as tender if cooked right.

I have had a smoker for 5 years but don't nearly smoke as much as I want to... I get to smoke something about once a week in the summer and maybe 1-2 times a month in the winter... I have stand up vertical smoker just wide enough for a full size turkey but tall enough to fit almost two lol... I have all the wood chips from apple, cherry, alder, hickory, mesquite etc. but I go through a lot of apple, hickory, and mesquite as I do mostly poultry and beef... I just got done smoking some sucker from the river last weekend and it turned out really good with alder and a hint of cherry... The only thing I do differently with my ribs is after a thick wet smoke I flash grill my ribs for just a couple mins each side to caramelize the BBQ sauce like svens chipotle or a good homemade stuff... Mmmm Mmmmm good... I love to smoke and cook anything from soups to pastas and any type of meat from duck, venison to cow...

Nice man. Sounds like you get quite a bit of smoking done. I def don't get that much time do to my crappy work schedule.

Yeah its all just personall preference. St. Louis Ribs usually have less meat, but more fat which can make them more tender. Loin backs (which are very similar to baby backs) usually have a lot more meat on them and can be made just as tender if cooked right.

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I will look into them for sure.

Here's some more stuff I have smoked recently

20150428_162058_zpsrxdewfqe.jpgpork butt and abt's

20150425_205144_zpswbkw0u4k.jpgSmoked bbq beans

20150412_172602_zpsoxqyp39x.jpgSome injected & smoked chicken thighs

20150412_172644_zpseaam0exr.jpg20150409_183111_zpssade23fb.jpgsmoked meatloaf.

Edited by Blk_SS (see edit history)

OH my GOD you guy's are killing me!!!! I am locking up shop and heading home to fire up the smoker! That grub looks so good I can't resist keeping the smoker going for the whole Memorial day weekend. Great work gentlemen, Y'all gave me some new Idea's to roll with.

OH my GOD you guy's are killing me!!!! I am locking up shop and heading home to fire up the smoker! That grub looks so good I can't resist keeping the smoker going for the whole Memorial day weekend. Great work gentlemen, Y'all gave me some new Idea's to roll with.

Awesome! post up some pics when you get a chance. Always love to get new ideas and recipes.