This Truck is Driving me insane

MHARPER1

For $2k, just get her rebuilt up with stock guts and a nice cam. Should be a quick turn around.

Yeah, I think that is what I'm going to do. I bought it with 198,000 miles, one owner. It just sucks it originated in Pennsylvania, it was covered with rust, but I bought it cheap, so I can't complain, now it looks perfect, but runs like hell.

IMG 0138 (2)

I think you got your money's worth 223k? Good lord that is a lot of miles......

If I have my choice it'll have that many more miles on it before I get rid of it, unless I sell it and buy another one. I love this truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the truck all put back together. Changed the head gaskets and everything from there up. New NGK Iridium plugs and MSD Wires. Put a set of Long Tube headers on it and am having the exhaust hooked up today. Now it sounds good and runs excellent, probably better than it did the day I bought it. I appreciate everyone's help and insight on this. Very happy with the truck at this point. Oh, and I did everything for about $800 because I did all the work myself.

Well, got the truck all put back together. Changed the head gaskets and everything from there up. New NGK Iridium plugs and MSD Wires. Put a set of Long Tube headers on it and am having the exhaust hooked up today. Now it sounds good and runs excellent, probably better than it did the day I bought it. I appreciate everyone's help and insight on this. Very happy with the truck at this point. Oh, and I did everything for about $800 because I did all the work myself.

How did you go about fixing this? Buy a new head or get a new valve and resurfaced and while they were off maybe re-honed the cylinder walls with new rings? I'm asking from pure curiosity because I've never worked with heads before but I've heard taking your heads in for a valve job could be expensive.

How did you go about fixing this? Buy a new head or get a new valve and resurfaced and while they were off maybe re-honed the cylinder walls with new rings? I'm asking from pure curiosity because I've never worked with heads before but I've heard taking your heads in for a valve job could be expensive.

Honestly, I talked to a shop close to me, Dynospeed in Memphis, TN, and they told me that the LQ9 is so well built that unless its burning oil and I couldn't see the crosshatching on the cylinder walls, it would be best to leave the bottom end alone. I took their advice after checking everything out, because the bottom end looked good. As far as the heads go, I had a 3 way valve job done and had them cleaned and decked. All of that cost $150 for both heads. Not really expensive for the valve job, now if you go as far as porting and polishing, yeah, it can get expensive, but since I was on a budget and am not trying to build a race truck, I just got the reworked for everyday driving.

Edited by MHARPER1 (see edit history)