Advice on LQ4 cam choice.

Hey everyone. I know this has been covered countless of times but I thought it would be better if I get direct answers to my questions from you gentlemen.

My truck as it sits has

Pacesetter lts

Volant CAI

3 inch exhaust straight pipes

4.10s and a KHP Tune.

Khp recomended a 231/239 comp cam for the engine only problem is I'm kind of working my way up.

Im planning on taking it to them a couple of days before my b day to get the cam 3600 stall and tranny cooler to get the most out of the cam. My only main question is,how aggressive is the cam? I see a lot of guys running 224s and 228s any big differences between those and the 231? She's my daily driver not looking for a full on race truck just a fast slab for the street!i want people to pull up next to me and wet there ****ing panties. main goal is at least 400hp.

My second problem is the heads I can get 243s from them as well real cheap to. Only thing is I plan on slapping a procharger later on but I mean like a year or 2 I want to be N/A for a bit. Should I leave the 317s to keep the lower compression or get some 243s? Or 317s with different gaskets?

Last question being about a month after the cam I want to get a FAST 102 manifold. Will my stock TB work? It's drive by wire and their 102 throttle bodies that I've seen are drive by cable.

Thanks ahead of time!

Edited by FranFran92 (see edit history)

Here are the specs for the cam 231/239 .617/.624 113 lsa

Being 617/624 is alot of lift I'm worried a out valve clearance issues I know some really good springs would help like the dual springs Comp recommends. But would I need some valve relief job some time in the future?

Edited by FranFran92 (see edit history)

They aren't camaros but I will be bending some over lol well I called comp they say it's actually a pretty well behaved cam uo until you floor it. Met a guy yesterday who has the same setup i do with that cam and it's pretty bad ass with a 3600 stall doesn't die or nothing idles nice too

Well, if you can get the tune dialed in I'm sure it'll idle okay and what not. The "drivability" I'm talking about will be the peaky power band you're going to have. How often are you running over 4k rpm? Now be reasonable about it, say you're crusing down the street and you look down, im guessing you won't be near 4000. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make you a little bit more aware. That engine is going to seem really high strung. Even most of the TBSS guys wouldn't run that cam and they have more compression and are 500lb lighter to boot. I'd MAYBE consider that for a stroker cam. But I'd probably stick to high 22Xs even in a stroker for these trucks because the TQ would be a nice, flat 500-550lb/tq+ table top of awesomeness haha

Like stated above. That's what I was getting at also. you can have a good cam spec'ed to go with that stall on a 112 if want it choppy. A cam like Paul and myself have work great from 3k to about 6500. A better choice in my OP. I'm no cam expert but have researched a lot. If it's a DD your not gonna be WOT race mode all the time. You can make 40+ hp with a good 224 or 228 with a good tune. 112 will sound killer at idle. Just food for thought.

Being 617/624 is alot of lift I'm worried a out valve clearance issues I know some really good springs would help like the dual springs Comp recommends. But would I need some valve relief job some time in the future?

My cam was 226/230 .598/.604. No problems on my lq9. The only way to know for sure is to check your ptv clearance. Sorry I can't be of more help!