4L65e vs 4L70e

I know that the 4L70e is an upgraded 4L65e, but I don't know what was upgraded, or if there were any changes made that would keep it from being a bolt in replacement.

The reason I ask is because I just bought a 2005 Escalade, that has a bad transmission(acts like 2-4band is broken) I am trying to decide which to put back in, obviously the 70e is a little more pricey but if the longevity outweighs the extra cost I'd be willing to shell out a little more cash.

The Escalade is completely stock, has the LQ9 same as our trucks, and will likely never have any performance mods, as it is mama's ride.

Anyone who has information or insight, I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The upgrades in the 4l70e aren't a whole lot. The difference is an extra clutch added to the overdrive unit, some hydraulic revisions and a better planetary setup. The 70e also had an input speed sensor. It will bolt right up in place of the 60e/65e because they all share the same case. I'm thinking I saw somewhere where where the 4l70e actually still had 4l60E stamped on them. Personally, if the trans you have is rebuildable, and you know a transmission guy, I'd just rebuild the one you have with the upgraded parts, and you'll probably have as good, or better of a setup than buying a new 4l70e. That may or may not be more cost effective too depending on how much you would be paying for the 4l70e is going to be. Hopefully that sort of answers your question.

• 6 years later...