tech help with cam choice

Im new here but figured i would ask for the expert wisdom of you gentleman. I have a 04 silverado ss. It had a 08 ly6 with l92 heads. Built 4l65e with shift kit billet servos and 3600 circle d single disc stall. Longtube headers with full 3inch exhuast and magnaflow muffler. Ngks and msd 8.5 wires. Walborh fuel pump not sure on size. Its tuned with 22 degrees advance timing i believe maybe 26. Tires and wheels are tbss 22s with a 305/40 tire. I daily drive this tr7ck but would like a nice aggressive cam with a decent lope. Anyone have any sound clips or recommendations on a cam or a custom grind?

First let me say I'm no cam expert, but please don't over cam it. Seems to be a mistake a lot of people make. 3600 is perfect for a mid-low 22x intake duration and low 23x/high 22x exhaust duration. The L92 heads flow very well on the intake side so there's no need for a big cam. Besides, you're in a heavy ass truck. You'll want a little TQ down low for the street, just because you have a 3600 stall doesn't mean you'll be using it all the time. Im running a 3200 stall on my 224/228 and wish I went 3600.

The trucks need a bigger stall to get out of the hole. It's simple. There are a lot of really knowledgable people that will spec you an entire setup. BTR, Martin Smallwood, Ed Curtis, are just to name a few. Explain to them your goals and they will set you up right.

my cam is 216/220 on 114 lsa I feel understalled with a yank 2600 as well. Just waiting for the tranny to die to restall.

I would keep the window open for Forced induction and keep lsa 114 or greater and the cam under 230

many cams 220/230 on 114 on the market or close enough off the shelf. I think thats what I would get in your case.

Edited by evand (see edit history)

In the future i want to go forced induction with a centrifical supercharger or procharger. The stall is perfect for that. Just not sure when my budget will allow that to occur.

This was the setup i was orginally going to pick up but heard the l92s i have are more then enough.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1170-precision-race-components-ported-ls3l92-heads-cam-package.asp

Also do you think the intake is sufficient for a big cam or do i need to upgrade the l92 to a fast intake?

Thanks again guys. Im based out of houston if anyone has any shop recommendations or just wants to cruise

Edited by tha_0utlaw (see edit history)

Call and spec a cam out for what you wanna use it for. If you don't you may be disappointed. A good solid cam can gain you big numbers when it all works together. I'm very happy with my set up. My stall could also be 3600 or 3800 but I'm really happy with the 3000. At low speeds like 30 n 35 it works great.

I have a love hate with my fast manifold. Pain to get tuned 1st install was a challenge but you can feel the power difference. I think it woke my truck up more than my cam did.

I would wait a bunch of new manifolds are coming out soon.

Edited by evand (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

First let me say I'm no cam expert, but please don't over cam it. Seems to be a mistake a lot of people make. 3600 is perfect for a mid-low 22x intake duration and low 23x/high 22x exhaust duration. The L92 heads flow very well on the intake side so there's no need for a big cam. Besides, you're in a heavy ass truck. You'll want a little TQ down low for the street, just because you have a 3600 stall doesn't mean you'll be using it all the time. Im running a 3200 stall on my 224/228 and wish I went 3600.

X2, wish I would have gone 3600 myself.