SS roll pans anyone looking for one?

dkkustoms

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You figure out pricing yet? The thing looks awesome!

$600 shipped but I need to recover some of the cash ASAP that I've got invested in making the model and mold, so the first 10 will get a $50 discount. Anyone interested feel free to drop me a pm on here or email [email protected]. Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

I posted a link to the manufacturers website with the info on the glue in the first post. I would be willing to bet just about any epoxy the holds to steel and fiberglass would work. The manufacturer states that the weak link is the fiberglass when using their epoxy. I would also put a small fiberglass patch over it just to spread the load. In fact I believe that's what BSER did on his.

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

I work with epoxy and fiberglass every day. I doubt the strength of an unreinforced steel to epoxy to glass bond. I would use epoxy but also glass in the bolt heads to the roll pan glass. (Using epoxy for the whole project).

pm sent

You shopping for a body upgrade, Alex? It would look sharp as all get out.

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I work with epoxy and fiberglass every day. I doubt the strength of an unreinforced steel to epoxy to glass bond. I would use epoxy but also glass in the bolt heads to the roll pan glass. (Using epoxy for the whole project).

There you have it, advice from someone that works with this stuff daily. As I said before, with a 2500 psi tensile strength for the epoxy, Weldmount even states that the fiberglass is the weak link in the system. So adding some fiberglass/resin over the stud and base to spread the load like BSER did is the way to go as I suspected.

If there is a major concern from those that would like the studs installed, I could have some of the roll pans get the studs installed and some without. That way you guys can have either one you prefer. It wouldn't cost any more or any less either way.

It would be nice if the studs came installed and also came with a template showing where to drill for the studs installed kinda like the iss wing template

A template isn't gonna work. Everyones cladding is different, hence the debate on whether to sell with studs attached or not.

There you have it, advice from someone that works with this stuff daily. As I said before, with a 2500 psi tensile strength for the epoxy, Weldmount even states that the fiberglass is the weak link in the system. So adding some fiberglass/resin over the stud and base to spread the load like BSER did is the way to go as I suspected.

If there is a major concern from those that would like the studs installed, I could have some of the roll pans get the studs installed and some without. That way you guys can have either one you prefer. It wouldn't cost any more or any less either way.

Epoxy would work great. Much better than wood screws :lol: Epoxy would be the way to go with ISS wing corners as well. If I recall, the "reproduction" ISS fiberglass wings come with these tacky angle brackets for the corner pieces that are just waiting to fall off.The 2500psi+ epoxy is like what holds your windshield in. It isn't going anywhere.

A template isn't gonna work. Everyones cladding is different, hence the debate on whether to sell with studs attached or not.

Epoxy would work great. Much better than wood screws :lol: Epoxy would be the way to go with ISS wing corners as well. If I recall, the "reproduction" ISS fiberglass wings come with these tacky angle brackets for the corner pieces that are just waiting to fall off.The 2500psi+ epoxy is like what holds your windshield in. It isn't going anywhere.

MID12sSSS is correct. A template wont work.

If the studs are left off, the end user can get the roll pan to fit how they like, drill from under the bed, through the sheet metal and mark the roll pan or use the hole in the sheet metal as a fixture to glue the stud on while the roll pan is in place. If the studs are pre-installed, the end user has to estimate where the hole should go. If the holes are off or you need to adjust the positioning of the roll pan, the hole has to be elongated or drilled bigger. I would want to mount them myself for ease of installation, but if enough people want them pre-installed, I will have the shop mount them. Like I said, either way makes no difference to me and the final cost wil be the same either way.

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

forget epoxy on the winglets just pm Carl for his brackets and call it a day and as far as the fiberglass iss wings go save your money there junk get an oem one that mounts without a miracle