SS roll pans anyone looking for one?

dkkustoms

*UPDATE* Roll pans are done and ready to ship. See my ad in the for sale section

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/87371-custom-fiberglass-silverado-ss-roll-pans/

So I've seen more than a few posts on here of people looking for the BSER roll pans or any other options. I was fortunate to have an extra roll pan and thought I might have a solution seeing as more than a few people have got no response from BSER and the whole group buys never seem to work out. I am currently having a mold made from a BSER pan that has been modified and cleaned up a bit. There were a few areas on the BSER pan that could use a bit of work so I figured, why not fix them before a mold was made. I am not doing the work. I'm having a production fiberglass shop make the mold and pans. They were the ones that pointed out most of the issues and I basically explained to them what they are for, showed him my truck and said if there was anything he thought could be better, straighter, stronger, etc to go for it. Just don't change the general shape for the most part. Anyway, the mold and first roll pan should be done in another couple of weeks. The only thing I'm unsure of is the studs at the end of the roll pans. First let me say, I'm not an expert at installing fiberglass so I'm asking you guys, the final users. The BSER pans came with the studs installed which required drilling into the back corners of the bedsides. Would installing the roll pans be easier without the studs installed? I could include two studs with plates for the installation. Does everyone use the studs? Should it be an option to use the studs or not? Let me know what you guys think.

When everything is all said and done, there will be no group buys required or minimum amount required. Initially I will prepay to have more than a few made and have stock on hand. After they sell, I will have more made. Lead times depend on how busy the shop gets. Lead time at the moment is approximate 4 weeks. I also own the mold and will continue to have them made as long as there is a demand. As demand decreases I will eventually stop keeping stock. But as I mentioned, I own the mold so if someone ever needed another one down the road, I can have one made.

So I'm told the resin is called fire retardant vinyl ester epoxy. I had to look it up what it was and found some good info

• Vinyl esters are more tolerant of stretching than polyesters. This makes them more able to absorb impact without damage. They are also less likely to show stress cracking.
  • Vinyl ester has fewer open sites in its molecular chain. This makes it much more resistant to water penetration ('hydrolysis') which can cause osmotic blistering.
  • Vinyl esters shrink less on curing, which means that 'pre-release' of a laminate from a mold is less significant.
  • The cross bonding of vinyl esters is superior to that of polyesters. This means that vinyl esters bond to core materials much more effectively than polyesters and delamination is less of an issue.
  • Vinyl esters are less sensitive to ambient conditions (temperature and humidity) than are polyesters.
  • Vinyl esters are more expensive than polyesters though careful calculations are required to assess the cost impact for a significant build project such as a luxury yacht. This is because the relative strengths need to be factored in - you can use less vinyl ester to achieve a given strength.

As for the studs being pre-attached or not, it looks like I will include them but not attach them. That way the end user has the option if they would like.

This is what will be included.

products-st125-1420.jpg

They can be glued in place using the proprietary weldmount AT-1030 Acrylic adhesive

or any sutible two-part epoxy, fiberglassed in, or both

http://www.weldmountsystem.com/products-adhesives.php

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63683&familyName=Weld+Mount+AT-1030+Adhesive

Finished product

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

The white thing is called the model. It is a BSER pan cleaned up and used to make the mold.

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

Parts coming out of the mold and getting cleaned up. I ordered 10 already. Should be done by the end of this week or early next week.

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

Mold is done and roll pans are being made at the moment. Price will be $600 shipped. The first 10 will get a $50 discount, so $550 shipped. Anyone interested feel free to drop me a pm on here or email [email protected].

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stock bumper doesnt do it anymore, interested but would need info on the studs before any decisions. 99% stock under the hood and undrilled frame. Not willing to sacrifice unless for the right price. There was someone else thinking of doing them. Just curious on price and those studs. Please provide pics when you get the first pan. Thank you :chevy:

My stock bumper doesnt do it anymore, interested but would need info on the studs before any decisions. 99% stock under the hood and undrilled frame. Not willing to sacrifice unless for the right price. There was someone else thinking of doing them. Just curious on price and those studs. Please provide pics when you get the first pan. Thank you :chevy:

Yeah, I've seen more than a few posts of people wanting or thinking about doing them. To my knowledge, nobody has. After all the responses I got from advertising the extra one I had, and seeing how frustrated people are getting trying to find one, I thought I would try and help the SS community out. Don't forget to vote on your preference on the studs. I'll probably do what the majority vote is, unless someone can overwhelmingly convince me one way or another with first hand experience.

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

My opinion: hate the 1 piece roll pans for a SS truck because of the whole truck having cladding. The bser doesn't match up with the cladding on the rest of the truck! Someone needs to make this 3 piece pan then I'll buy one cause it matches up w/ the corner cladding perfect!

post-23304-0-36099700-1423391613_thumb.png

post-23304-0-99348400-1423391651_thumb.png

Edited by cmoney23 (see edit history)

Hahaha she will be buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatta boy. :lol:

So, for better clarification, these studs... If they come attached, they'll be glassed into the roll pan? And if they come unattached, they'll have plates that slide into a channel in the roll pan to attach? My understanding, you'll need these studs anyway to stable the roll pan right? Especially, If you plan on shaving the cladding corners into the roll pan. You'll need it to be very sturdy or it'll crack. So I would think these would be mandatory.

Would the studs be the same studs wether pre-installed or not? If the fiberglass shop didn't install them, the body shop/installer would glass them in on the back side just the same, correct? I'm thinking of it as a stud with a large washer head to spread the load if they are like the ones BSER used. The main reason for my answer to the question as to install them or not is for ease of installation for the end user. Since trimming is involved and its all compound curves, every truck is a little different, wouldn't it be easier to work with the roll pan without the studs. That way the installer could get it trimmed and nice fitting. Then they could drill the holes from the underside of the bed and make a mark on the roll pan so everything would line up. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

Can the bolts be put in the middle to use the existing rear bumper brackets? My truck is in storage now so really cant look and take pictures but I would think that if you put the bolts in the middle area where the rear brackets are and depending on if it can bolt up as it sits in place or simply get another piece of aluminum to connect the pan to bracket sounds easy enough. That way no drilling into the bed corners.