Where to get a full set of brake lines?

LoneSStar

Hey guys, just had a brake line blow out on me! Scared the s##t outta me, luckily I was on a farm road and nobody was around and just coasted to a stop! Made my own brake line for a temp fix, anyone know where to find a complete brake line set for these trucks?? Plan on running the Texas mile sometime and really don't trust these brakes!! Thanx ,

Mike..

You can buy em all right at the dealer. Short money too.

I priced the two lines that run from the ABS module forward to the master cyl modulation valve. One was $80.00 the other was $120.00. I didn't ask about any of the others.

A set of 9 stainless steel lines for for my 03 is right at $300.00 from Inline tube. In the Inline kit the line that runs from the ABS module to the right front comes with a union in it making it possible to install that line without having to remove the front end sheet metal. (Good luck fishing that OEM line all that way), :jester:

The line that runs from the ABS module to the rear axle is configured so that you can install it without either dropping the gas tank or lifting / removing the bed. I gave up and cut my OEM line in order to remove it. Don't think that you be able to install that one either going with an OEM replacement.

These truck have a bad track record for OEM brake lines corroding and blowing out. I plan to keep my truck a long time and that is why I sprung for Stainless steel.

Your luck may be better than mine. :cheers:

Thanx guys!! I really hate knowing that pretty much the underside of these trucks don't hold up well!, I bought this truck from a dealer in Wisconsin! ! And the whole underside has rust everywhere! ! I'm doing everything I can to get it back to OEM but it's a hell of a process!!! It's nice knowing there's guys out there with the SS love that I have for these trucks!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I was admiring the corrosion on mine today. Now I see LoneSStar's post. This doesn't inspire confidence in the factory lines at all.

OEM brake lines on this generation trucks are well known for being victims of the bean counters. Easy to find horror stories of line failure. When I got my truck, (Used with about 40,000 miles), the underside of the truck looked fine but the brake lines under the hood look like they had been soaked in salt water.

I replaced with a full set of stainless lines. Should be good to go for as long as I own her.

If you want to keep your truck I would just swap them all out for stainless.

I rescued this truck from PA, but the damage is done on the brake and fuel lines. I'm researching it now to replace and upgrade the brakes, which leads me down the rabbit hole. I don't drive it much so I can take my time. Which is good, cos I still feel the sting from the jet-hotted ARH headers. :jester:

Sounds like your truck lucked out when you found it. :cool:

This company has stainless fuel lines. They are "computer bent" and direct replacement. (I don't have personal experience with their fuel lines but have a complete set of brake lines for my 03 that I wound up not using).

http://www.inlinetube.com/#!brake--fuel-lines/c1g3e.

I looked into the Inline Tube set, but read a bunch of bad reviews about their customer service and decided to get a set from Classic Tube. Ordered from Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cst-ct1195sb-ss/overview/

That set comes with the flexible stainless lines as well, which are ~$120 by themselves. Just make sure you get the right ones, I think they have slight variances for certain years.

I haven't installed them yet though, too damn cold outside right now.

• 3 months later...

I'm just going to put this right here.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/UBK9190101/UBK9190101_0499887469

I have not installed them yet. I'll report back once I do. They are just the stainless steel hard lines; no hose here. :ohmy:

Edited by Wha-haa (see edit history)

I just had the Dorman SS line kit installed on my 05 SSS by my Dad's trusted mechanic (I have the capability to do it myself, what I lack is the time when I work 50-60 hours a week and have 2 daughters under 2 running around @ home!) but they look awesome and the mechanic said the fit and finish is excellent for the price. He replaces these line kits on at least 2-3 NBS trucks a month and had previously done the lines on my Dad's 2006 Avalanche Z71. I had a Goodridge braided SS softline kit and new calipers/rotors/pads done at the same time and truck stops quite nicely now compared to what I was used to with my old SS and my Dad's Avey!