I need help with extreme PTSD, can anyone help me out who has had this

Blown 346

I appreciate that D1SCSS. All I need I feel like I want to do is vent about it now, slowly move forward. From what I heard, venting is one of the hardest steps. Especially having night terrors and night dreams where Im up all night till mid day. Im sure not being able to eat without feeling sick doesnt help either.

• 1 month later...

Brother, I missed the first post, you'd already deleted by the time I got around to checking the forums. But one thing I can tell you, PTSD sucks. I'm not exactly sure why you have it or what caused it but generally speaking it only occurs when something really shitty happens. For most military/police/ems guys we assume combat/human trauma related things so that's where my head jumps.

Assuming that's the case, it's best and easiest to break it down barney style in your own head or even to your significant other, family, friends, doctors etc. Hell, go on Reddit and post anonymously on http://www.reddit.com/r/ptsd, the support you'll find is very helpful. Once you're able to verbalize what happened and see every angle, you can pretty much always rationalize what you did was the right thing. When it comes to things you have no control over...those are probably the hardest to overcome.

No matter what anyone may say, every person is extremely different. Stubbing my toe could cause me to have PTSD and you'd be like Wtf?! But then you'd lose an eyelash and have PTSD and I'd say Wtf?! Obviously an extreme example, but everyone handles everything differently so don't worry about your "progression." If you take nothing else from this, take this and keep it close to heart: Take every single piece of advice with a grain of salt. What works for A, B, C or D may do utterly nothing for you.

For me personally it was a lot of time, friends and alcohol. And eventually just time and friends. I was a straight up full blown high functioning alcoholic for quite a while. Thankfully I had the willpower and, more importantly, the help to stop the destructive drinking after "only" about 2 yrs. About 10 years later and I'm pretty much alright. I'm by no means a saint and I still drink regularly but I'm not downing a bottle of scotch every day. Surround yourself with your closest friends, have a cigar and relax to good music. Talk if you want to, be quiet if you don't want to, but just get out there and surround yourself with people that love you.

You will weather the storm brother, it may take a week, it may take a year or ten years. But you will batten down the hatches and you will see the other side. Depending on what you had happen; you may have nightmares for a while, or just have trouble sleeping. You may hear a song, smell a smell, see a color, all kinds of insanely totally random shit you'd never even think of that brings it all back like a freight train. When that happens, just breathe and understand that it'll pass and you're not alone, never alone. As the old old saying goes; "This too shall pass."

Take care buddy, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that we're here for you if you need us.

Semper Fi.

Brother, I missed the first post, you'd already deleted by the time I got around to checking the forums. But one thing I can tell you, PTSD sucks. I'm not exactly sure why you have it or what caused it but generally speaking it only occurs when something really shitty happens. For most military/police/ems guys we assume combat/human trauma related things so that's where my head jumps.

Assuming that's the case, it's best and easiest to break it down barney style in your own head or even to your significant other, family, friends, doctors etc. Hell, go on Reddit and post anonymously on http://www.reddit.com/r/ptsd, the support you'll find is very helpful. Once you're able to verbalize what happened and see every angle, you can pretty much always rationalize what you did was the right thing. When it comes to things you have no control over...those are probably the hardest to overcome.

No matter what anyone may say, every person is extremely different. Stubbing my toe could cause me to have PTSD and you'd be like Wtf?! But then you'd lose an eyelash and have PTSD and I'd say Wtf?! Obviously an extreme example, but everyone handles everything differently so don't worry about your "progression." If you take nothing else from this, take this and keep it close to heart: Take every single piece of advice with a grain of salt. What works for A, B, C or D may do utterly nothing for you.

For me personally it was a lot of time, friends and alcohol. And eventually just time and friends. I was a straight up full blown high functioning alcoholic for quite a while. Thankfully I had the willpower and, more importantly, the help to stop the destructive drinking after "only" about 2 yrs. About 10 years later and I'm pretty much alright. I'm by no means a saint and I still drink regularly but I'm not downing a bottle of scotch every day. Surround yourself with your closest friends, have a cigar and relax to good music. Talk if you want to, be quiet if you don't want to, but just get out there and surround yourself with people that love you.

You will weather the storm brother, it may take a week, it may take a year or ten years. But you will batten down the hatches and you will see the other side. Depending on what you had happen; you may have nightmares for a while, or just have trouble sleeping. You may hear a song, smell a smell, see a color, all kinds of insanely totally random shit you'd never even think of that brings it all back like a freight train. When that happens, just breathe and understand that it'll pass and you're not alone, never alone. As the old old saying goes; "This too shall pass."

Take care buddy, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that we're here for you if you need us.

Semper Fi.

Good advise ^ That's basically what I was like and did when I got out of the Corps due to medical reasons after 9 years... I suffered awhile with depression, I would only get 2-4 hours of sleep a night and I would always drown it out with gallons of alcohol but that too started to wreak havoc on my family life... I am one of the lucky ones though, that the VA was able to help me with the right medications for my sleep problems and pain management but most importantly, I found a Pastor that was a former Navy Chaplain of 20 years who dealt with marines his whole time in so he was able to relate and help me right away at my first counseling session with him and I still see him every other week... I only recently have found the full help I need as of last December so it may take you awhile to find what works for you... I have been struggling since I got out in 2011 but I finally found comfort after 4 years... All in all keep your hopes up bud, stay strong and find a doctor that knows his stuff to treat you and most importantly find someone who understands what you are going through so you can vent and unload on them all your problems and worries... I wish I can say your family is a good start to talk too, but for me it is the last place I could go because none of them have experienced my problems before and just do not understand... Finding someone who has struggled and defeated their problems or a professional who has experience helping others with PTSD is your best start...

Another Semper Fi

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Yo brother im not sure what caused your ptsd but there are hotlines for us vets man. Theres a facebook page that i go to an its for vets an they help...i dont know your triggers but hit me up anytime man. 22 a day is not good. If I cant help you battle i can lead you to others who might.

From one vet to another...we can't lose any more .