FUEL PUMP

SScammacSS

Need opinions on what kind of fuel pump to buy? good prices out there? Aftermarket?

Should i save money and cut a hole in my bed and do it myself or bring it to a shop?

decisions decisions...

Look at all the write ups on installing a new pump. personally run the tank low and drop it with a help of a buddy.

Drain the tank and drop it. I used a motorcycle jack and it balanced the tank well. The hardest part is getting the filler neck past the frame. Or you could always carry a 2x4 and beat the bottom of the tank to get the pump working again.

Need opinions on what kind of fuel pump to buy? good prices out there? Aftermarket?

Should i save money and cut a hole in my bed and do it myself or bring it to a shop?

decisions decisions...

I cut my bed just make sure to coat all the cut edges with paint. Just four screws and it comes right off. I put four tabs to bolt the piece back on,I used a jigsaw, here's a pic. Mine needs another coat of pantpost-8306-0-24245400-1419982087_thumb.jpg

Cutting a hole in the bed sounds a little extreme watch the YouTube video above It took this guy no time at all to unbolt the bed and tip it up to gain access to the pump and best part is when your done it looks like nothing happened.

x2

I don't recommend doing this. It's what I wanted to do, it was easy for me, took about 5 minutes to cut the hole. If the pump every fails on the road, like mine did, I wouldn't want to tilt the bed on the side of the road. 10 minutes and new pump installed. Also was planning on upgrading the fuel system someday.

Edited by ccgoodwrench (see edit history)

I don't ever plan on getting rid of my truck so I might be bias but I don't want any holes in my bed I'll be upgrading my fuel pump soon and installing a racetronix hot wire kit with a voltage booster id also like to scuff and coat the frame so the whole bed will probably come off.

Last winter me and my brother dropped his tank and it was a nightmare everything was rusted and was kinda a pain in the ass to unhook the hoses without seeing what I was doing if it was his plow truck I'd say cut that hole right now but not my SS I seen the YouTube videos on how and where to cut the hole I just liked tipping the bed up for my truck better.

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Check this out good way to gain access to the pump

Hey Alan,

Thanks for posting that vid. I had never heard of this method before. I built two wooden "A" frames and used a couple come allong's to take the bed off my old 86 4X4. The tilt method would have been a lot easier.

I thought about cutting an access through the bed floor, too, but rejected that idea as too mickey mouse.

I think in certain trucks the hole in the bed is an awesome way to get in and out quick with the option to access it again quick just not an SS I don't plan on getting rid of plus I got 175000 miles on the stock pump I don't ever run it low as to over heat the pump so if I replaced it I would hope to get a least close to the same mileage.

I found this video on YouTube while researching fuel pump upgrades and thought man I wish me and my brother did that instead of dropping the tank an impact gun and a couple pieces of wood and and your in.

dropping the tank sucks unless you have a lift.first time i did a pump i dropped the tank and ill never do it that way again. pulling the bed is defiantly the way to go or tilt it if your lazy or dont have a couple friends to help you lift the bed off your truck. its like 6 bolts and unplug the rear lights from the harness and bed comes off with ease .