SS frame finally powder coated after only 2 years.

shawnss

Well almost two years ago now I ripped into the SS with plans of rebuilding it and getting the frame powder coated. well things came up where I just simply didn't have time to work on it had our first child, bought a new home, got busy with landscaping and all that goes along with owning a new home.

Well I finally started getting some extra time and got the frame stripped to bare metal and off to the PC shop it went. I got the frame back today and started putting some of it back together.

I'm at a stand still because I'm waiting for my a-arms and rear leaf spring to get back from the shop. I'm having all new bushings installed in the truck I went with the full energy suspension bushing kit. it was the master set and pretty much came with all the bushings for the truck.

Here it is as it sits. its going to be so nice to get it back together and actually be able to drive it.

IMG_9080_zps4ad63f6c.jpgIMG_9079_zps8226c34b.jpgIMG_9078_zps01a500ef.jpgIMG_9077_zpsd911843e.jpgIMG_9076_zpsd5a101b9.jpg

IMG_9075_zps4fe7ae39.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

WoW! Your way braver than I am!

How come you went with the power coating over a spray on like Line-X. In the marine world, powder coating is known to only last about 2 years before it starts to flake. Once it gets a scratch or nick, water gets between the finish and the metal and the rest is history... this is why I just had to have my T-Top stripped and refinished in a nice marine grade Line-X. Lifetime warranty!

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

WoW! Your way braver than I am!

How come you went with the power coating over a spray on like Line-X. In the marine world, powder coating is known to only last about 2 years before it starts to flake. Once it gets a scratch or nick, water gets between the finish and the metal and the rest is history... this is why I just had to have my T-Top stripped and refinished in a nice marine grade Line-X. Lifetime warranty!

Well I looked at a few different options once it came to coating the frame. I looked a doing the POR 15 coating then paints it then powder coating it. I talked with a rep for por 15 the he said he didn't think his product was for my frame because it was to clean and there was no rust. with paint I figured it would scratch to easy. I have PC a few different pieces on my atv which takes a lot more abuse then this truck ever will and the PC has yet to chip and start to flake. I powered coated my atv frame and a-arms and 3 years later they still look great and I haven't had any issues. Plus My truck doesn't get driven like a normal truck. i have owned it for 8 years and have only put 10k miles on it. I did not drive it on gravel roads or in crappy weather only nice days. where its sunny and dry. thats why i went with pc. my pc guy has done many frames and said it holds up great.

When I jack the truck up. I only jack up on the lower a-arm and the rear end/ So I'm not worried about chipping it do to lifting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess there'll be some SS Silverado's around in 50 years. Power coating the frame seems to be the only way of keeping rust away. Great job and you are a brave man tearing into your truck that far. The wiring harness along has me cringing seeing all those wires....

Since you have it apart, I have 2 questions. Since you have it in plain sight... LOL Can you see how many splines on the idler arm shaft and is there any way to install a front differential disconnect? I need an idler arm and I'm not sure if I have a 3 or 4 spline. Thanks.

I guess there'll be some SS Silverado's around in 50 years. Power coating the frame seems to be the only way of keeping rust away. Great job and you are a brave man tearing into your truck that far. The wiring harness along has me cringing seeing all those wires....

Since you have it apart, I have 2 questions. Since you have it in plain sight... LOL Can you see how many splines on the idler arm shaft and is there any way to install a front differential disconnect? I need an idler arm and I'm not sure if I have a 3 or 4 spline. Thanks.

I don't think the idler arm has any splines, I think you mean pitman arm(attach to steering box). Best way to tell is to pull the nut on the bottom of pitman arm and count the number of big splines, hope this helps

I don't think the idler arm has any splines, I think you mean pitman arm(attach to steering box). Best way to tell is to pull the nut on the bottom of pitman arm and count the number of big splines, hope this helps

According to rockauto the idler is a 3 or 4 spline. I have to get the pitman too but I was hoping to only get dirty once but I guess I'll have to climb under it in crappy NJ weather and bust off some nuts. Thanks for your imput. I hope this isn't considered post jumping??? HAHA.

According to rockauto the idler is a 3 or 4 spline. I have to get the pitman too but I was hoping to only get dirty once but I guess I'll have to climb under it in crappy NJ weather and bust off some nuts. Thanks for your imput. I hope this isn't considered post jumping??? HAHA.

I hope it isn't post jumping, I wish I had the time to do a frame like shawnss is doing. That is amazing good work