looking at silvy SS tomorrow need tips

beenen

I'm going to look at this silverado ss tomorrow and need tips on anything really to specifically look at before I buy the truck.

The truck is a 2003 with 62k miles. I went to go look at it while they were closed and the truck is very clean. little to no surface rust on the undercariage and the interior looks to be in good condition.

I heard things to look out for is while taking a turn to see if there is like a clunk or grinding noise? If I hear the noise would it be a good idea to not buy the truck or is it a simple fix?

anything else?

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

There are several things in the front end of the AWD trucks that could produce a grinding or clunking noise. Front differentials are a problem area in these trucks. I would guess that the larger percentage of them eventually need a rebuild. Figure around a thousand for that if and when needed. The hubs, (In the front), can make noises, (Much less expensive than the diff. and often go out one at a time which makes the repair less expensive). The transmission is also a bit of a weak link in these trucks.

Whether these possible problems are deal breakers or not depends on the deal your getting on the truck. For an 03 truck 62k is low mileage and those are getting difficult to find.

I don't know what part of the country you and the truck are in but minimal rust on the undercarriage could indicate a garage kept truck which is a good thing.

Good luck. Hope it's what your looking for. These are limited production trucks getting more rare every day. They all need good homes.

I live up in Indiana so its pretty rare that an '03 has a body like this one it was defiantly taken care of.

Test drove it today and it drove so nice. It did make some type of noise when turning but it wasn't it clunk or grinding noise it kinda sounded like just old brake rotors getting cleaned from sitting out so long. It only did it for a couple of turns. Going to the bank tomorrow to get the loan then hopefully bring it back Wednesday. thanks for the replies.

I live up in Indiana so its pretty rare that an '03 has a body like this one it was defiantly taken care of.

Test drove it today and it drove so nice. It did make some type of noise when turning but it wasn't it clunk or grinding noise it kinda sounded like just old brake rotors getting cleaned from sitting out so long. It only did it for a couple of turns. Going to the bank tomorrow to get the loan then hopefully bring it back Wednesday. thanks for the replies.

Hope the deal goes through for you. :cheers:

well deal I guess went south got back online tonight after work and glanced at the autotrader ad and it ended up being sold!!!!! I''m so mad, that truck was so clean lol! someone got a good deal. guess I'll be on the lookout again.

here was the truck

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46835&endYear=2006&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&modelCode1=CHEV150&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=44725402&startYear=2003&makeCode1=CHEV&searchRadius=300&mmt=[CHEV[CHEV150[CHEV150%257CSS]][]]&listingId=379192455&Log=0

well deal I guess went south got back online tonight after work and glanced at the autotrader ad and it ended up being sold!!!!! I''m so mad, that truck was so clean lol! someone got a good deal. guess I'll be on the lookout again.

here was the truck

][]]&listingId=379192455&Log=0]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46835&endYear=2006&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&modelCode1=CHEV150&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=44725402&startYear=2003&makeCode1=CHEV&searchRadius=300&mmt=[CHEV[CHEV150[CHEV150%7CSS]][]]&listingId=379192455&Log=0

That sucks! What were they asking?

here was the truck

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46835&endYear=2006&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&modelCode1=CHEV150&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=44725402&startYear=2003&makeCode1=CHEV&searchRadius=300&mmt=[CHEV[CHEV150[CHEV150%257CSS]][]]&listingId=379192455&Log=0

Sorry to hear it man. That's gotta be discouraging. Good luck with your hunting.

thanks all.

well I kinda found another one

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46835&endYear=2015&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&modelCode1=CHEV150&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=44725402&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CHEV&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=377949736&mmt=[CHEV[CHEV150[CHEV150%257CSS]][]]&listingId=331721080&Log=0

except I don't like the ground effects, the mud flaps and the carpeted bed. With it being an Iowa car I asked to see pics of the under body here is what he sent

autotrader035_zpsc2b0b8c7.jpg

autotrader034_zpsa74c202d.jpg

autotrader048_zpsd3fa8b1f.jpg

autotrader039_zpsc8802107.jpg

autotrader049_zpsc60f8f2f.jpg

autotrader036_zps71dc62da.jpg

what do you guys think?

For an 11yr old Iowa car I would say average to better than average condition. The running board brackets are fairly rusty, but you already said you don't like them so those all go away. I also noticed a dark spot on the bottom side of the muffler, it may have a hole in it. Too bad Storm Lake is about 1/2 way across the state from me to get you a better assessment.