22 x 10 Intros on a SSS

rcapone

Hey guys, this is said salesman "Kris at Gaylords". I feel its only fair to explain all that happened with this particular lid horror story.

Let me begin with, we charge $100 for paint..100$. if customers want to order primer we encourage it as we obviously lose money painting..We had a horrible experience with this cover and the lid being damaged in shipping, (damages do happen..with any product as you all know, buying custom products for your SS trucks online).

All lids leave here FULLY crated in a wood box (free for all my customers) and insured for ANY damage. and have a 2 week post delivery concealed damage window.

Mr. Capone emailed me last year looking for a quote on the cover. all SS guys i give the wing upgrade free of charge. at the time the lid was 1190$. June 8th i believe, he began emailing me again and wanted to place an order. the price was given of 1290, current lid pricing, while the order was being placed. (i did not call back to inform of changed price) 500$ deposit was taken as normal.

He had requested we call him prior to shipping, which is abnormal for our shipping department, if its going to a commercial address (saves $60 on shipping)

Mr. Capone noticed the remaining balance charge, called in, spoke with Charlie in shipping who then stopped the cover in transit. because he did ship the lid without informing Mr. Capone. We would have brought the cover back, or sent it to another address. After speaking with his painter, Mr. Capone agreed to still have it delivered to his body shop. Very soon after the cover was delivered. Mike at the paint shop signed for the lid as intact and set it aside as he was busy (totally understandable) He says he even cut part of the box open to verify the paint looked good. (no complaint of the foam marks at this time he said)

couple weeks go by and when it was this lids turn for custom paint it was fully removed from the box. The corners are extremely damaged (in my eyes) and the paint looked terrible from the foam protecting. (does happen on dark lids and needs to be buffed out). The cover had been sitting for over the allotted 15 days and the freight company wont even look at the claim. (understandably).

Mr. Capones body guy mike, repairs and repaints the cover, without any approval from Gaylord's, or the shipping company, leaving us, expected to pay the bill of 400$ for the repair. I offered to pick the cover up free of charge and hash it out with the shipping company, which cannot work because the lid has a VERY RAD custom paint job. after the shipping company ignored us, I talked the boss into COMPLETELY out of pocket paying half of the repair.

We did ship the cover without informing of the customer which did put a burden, but we cannot be there to inspect it. as a custom company, there is only so much we can do once the cover is landed. I gave him the wing upgrade free, and now paying back half of the repairs only because I personally feel terrible about what had happened guess who gets to pay for that.

If this scares you away from the best looking lid for your trucks, we as a company understand, and suggest if you ever do order one, save the $100 and order in a primer.

Thank you, and again beyond sorry you and the painter were in this bind.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chad! Yeah 2" all the way around - that's a good idea...how much do you think they are new and if you know where I could get them or part # that would be great!

Keep a lookout on the forum in the forsale section. They pop up here and there. Heres a link where you can buy them brand new. This shows them in a 2/2 kit for the rear shackles and front keys. I know u only want rear shackles so you would have to email for a price for the shackles only.

http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=15

Edited by cmoney23 (see edit history)

Hey guys, this is said salesman "Kris at Gaylords". I feel its only fair to explain all that happened with this particular lid horror story.

Let me begin with, we charge $100 for paint..100$. if customers want to order primer we encourage it as we obviously lose money painting..We had a horrible experience with this cover and the lid being damaged in shipping, (damages do happen..with any product as you all know, buying custom products for your SS trucks online).

All lids leave here FULLY crated in a wood box (free for all my customers) and insured for ANY damage. and have a 2 week post delivery concealed damage window.

Mr. Capone emailed me last year looking for a quote on the cover. all SS guys i give the wing upgrade free of charge. at the time the lid was 1190$. June 8th i believe, he began emailing me again and wanted to place an order. the price was given of 1290, current lid pricing, while the order was being placed. (i did not call back to inform of changed price) 500$ deposit was taken as normal.

He had requested we call him prior to shipping, which is abnormal for our shipping department, if its going to a commercial address (saves $60 on shipping)

Mr. Capone noticed the remaining balance charge, called in, spoke with Charlie in shipping who then stopped the cover in transit. because he did ship the lid without informing Mr. Capone. We would have brought the cover back, or sent it to another address. After speaking with his painter, Mr. Capone agreed to still have it delivered to his body shop. Very soon after the cover was delivered. Mike at the paint shop signed for the lid as intact and set it aside as he was busy (totally understandable) He says he even cut part of the box open to verify the paint looked good. (no complaint of the foam marks at this time he said)

couple weeks go by and when it was this lids turn for custom paint it was fully removed from the box. The corners are extremely damaged (in my eyes) and the paint looked terrible from the foam protecting. (does happen on dark lids and needs to be buffed out). The cover had been sitting for over the allotted 15 days and the freight company wont even look at the claim. (understandably).

Mr. Capones body guy mike, repairs and repaints the cover, without any approval from Gaylord's, or the shipping company, leaving us, expected to pay the bill of 400$ for the repair. I offered to pick the cover up free of charge and hash it out with the shipping company, which cannot work because the lid has a VERY RAD custom paint job. after the shipping company ignored us, I talked the boss into COMPLETELY out of pocket paying half of the repair.

We did ship the cover without informing of the customer which did put a burden, but we cannot be there to inspect it. as a custom company, there is only so much we can do once the cover is landed. I gave him the wing upgrade free, and now paying back half of the repairs only because I personally feel terrible about what had happened guess who gets to pay for that.

If this scares you away from the best looking lid for your trucks, we as a company understand, and suggest if you ever do order one, save the $100 and order in a primer.

Thank you, and again beyond sorry you and the painter were in this bind.

Just so everyone knows, I called Kris today and we figured out what happened...Turns out a new guy, Charlie, was the one who took my order and not Kris. Kris gave me the quote last year, but I did have to point out that I was charged $1,390.00 in more than one email and in several conversations with different people who work at Gaylords - not the $1,290.00 as stated above. Today and finally, Kris looked at my invoice, saw that I was over charged the $100.00 and offered a refund. ...I told him to add it on to the $200.00 they agreed to pay towards Mike's $400.00 labor and material to repair the lid. I still get stuck paying the remaining $100.00 to Mike to cover his labor. Yes, technically it was Mike's fault for signing and not fully removing the cover and inspecting every inch of it, BUT since Gaylords shipped the cover one month ahead of their projected completion date and with no notice, it literally arrived on Mike's doorstep within hours of me calling him and telling him it was coming. If I wouldn't have had them put a hold on the shipment, it would have showed up completely unannounced and unscheduled! Had they told me they were shipping in advance and like Charlie agreed to when I placed the order, I could have called Mike to be added into his busy work schedule. As a result of no prior notification, the lid sat there in his shop in the box until he could get to it. By this time, it was too late to report the concealed damage claim.

What I couldn't understand was Kris offered to refund all of my money IF I shipped the cover back. This means they would be eating the original $175.00 shipping charge + another $175.00 shipping charge to ship it back to them ($350.00 in shipping alone) AND refund my money AND pay their people to make the repairs and repaint the cover (I'm guessing at least another $200.00 in labor and material) before it could be re-sold (He made this offer because he didn't know Mike had already made the repairs). That's a total of $550.00! So I kept telling them it would be cheaper for them to just pay Mike's $400.00 bill but they refused and would not listen to reason. They kept saying Mike signed for it and he's responsible. It just boggles my mind that they would be willing to pay all that shipping and labor + refund my money rather than paying less money to Mike and making everyone happy. Instead I get stuck paying another $200.00 out of my pocket, which would make anyone unhappy! That shit you guys are smoking out there is Cali must be REALLY good!

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Same thing happened to me Randy when I got my hood. I signed for it without inspecting it because it was shipped to my work. I was on the clock so I couldn't. Pulled it out and it was bent on 3 of the corners, front was dented the center was dented. It was already arrival blue. Cost me another 400$ to fix and it Bothers the hell out of me cuz it's not perfect. Shipping company said oh well you signed for it. I was so mad if I'd have ever seen the guy again I beat the shit out of him. I feel your pain sorry to see all the hassle. I'm sure when it's done it will be worth it.

Keep a lookout on the forum in the forsale section. They pop up here and there. Heres a link where you can buy them brand new. This shows them in a 2/2 kit for the rear shackles and front keys. I know u only want rear shackles so you would have to email for a price for the shackles only.

http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=15

Thanks man, I'll look into that this weekend!

Same thing happened to me Randy when I got my hood. I signed for it without inspecting it because it was shipped to my work. I was on the clock so I couldn't. Pulled it out and it was bent on 3 of the corners, front was dented the center was dented. It was already arrival blue. Cost me another 400$ to fix and it Bothers the hell out of me cuz it's not perfect. Shipping company said oh well you signed for it. I was so mad if I'd have ever seen the guy again I beat the shit out of him. I feel your pain sorry to see all the hassle. I'm sure when it's done it will be worth it.

Sounds like your luck is almost as bad as mine Jason! Sorry to hear that about your hood. This is going to be the most expensive Tonneau cover in history, lol! Hell, it's costing me $480.00 just to ship it to my house from Killer Paint, but I insured the hell out of it too!

Haha Good idea. I'm sure mike will have it get there lookin like it should. Now you need to enter that ban boy in a show :) I think it's spot on Brotha.

Yeah, I'm stoked since it's shipping out today which means I should have it toward the end of next week. Mike told me to have a dumpster handy for all the extra foam packing he added! If it arrives damaged this time I'll cry!

Just a few more things and I may just do that! The polisher is supposed to have the weld sanded down on my intake tube today and fully polished - should be interesting to see how that turns out. Since I just got my rims on this week and couldn't resist driving all around town, I chose not to have him do the TB just yet so that needs to be polished out next. Then I'm choosing to wait to install my 8 rib setup and pinned crank until my cam and other parts arrive. This way I'm only pinning my crank once, which I'm told is a nightmare to pin, remove and re-pin. So once all that's done, I think she'll be ready for a show. Since it's something I've never done before, I'm sure it'll be lots of fun!